> >> Don't  worry Richard; The US economy will collapse and the only
> >> hope for the country will be The United Nations.
> >
> > Lupi sounds like you have your fingers  crossed!
>
> I certainly do.  I think the primary hope for the
> world is the US economy finally having to confront
> its bankruptcy.  It's "power" in the world is based
> on the perpetuation of a fiction, that it is econ-
> omically solvent.  It isn't.  When the rest of the
> world stops pretending and perpetuating the fiction,
> the "power" of the US and its tendency to abuse it
> will fade as quickly as a headwaiter's interest in
> a customer when he realizes the guy doesn't have
> a cent.
>
> Unc

When the Berlin Wall collapsed, and with it the "communism" of the
former Sovjet Union, Maharishi said that "the next to go is
capitalism".
One could speculate on how this can happen, but the capitalist system
will certainly not go away by itself since the power of greed and
egoism that structures it is so strong. It will have to be forced to
go. This can only happen through a major crash of the worlds economy
starting in the major stock exchanges. A crash that will make the
1920's look like childs play in comparison. The fundation for this is
already laid as the US is spending far more than it earns and now has
a foreign debt of countless trillions. The day could come in the near
future when the rest of the world (noteably Japan and China)will not
only stop to buy more dollars bonds from the USA, but could demand to
have their loans back. Where would the US get the money from to pay
back, when the funds simply do not excist ?
Lenin said that capitalism will eat itself up from within. That is
exactly what has happened. The chaos that follows this crash will put
demands on humanity on a scale we have never witnessed. It will be
very difficult to structure new ways of distributing the goods from
this bountiful planet. But it is possible and it will happen. The
only system that will not have a role in the new economy, to
distribute justly our resources so that all men have at least will
have the basics for survival, will be capitalism.