> >> only hope for the country will be The United Nations.
> > >
> > > Lupi sounds like you have your fingers  crossed!
> >
> > I certainly do.  I think the primary hope for the
> > world is the US economy finally having to confront
> > its bankruptcy.  It's "power" in the world is based
> > on the perpetuation of a fiction, that it is econ-
> > omically solvent.  It isn't.  When the rest of the
> > world stops pretending and perpetuating the fiction,
> > the "power" of the US and its tendency to abuse it
> > will fade as quickly as a headwaiter's interest in
> > a customer when he realizes the guy doesn't have
> > a cent.
>
> When the Berlin Wall collapsed, and with it the "communism" of the
> former Sovjet Union, Maharishi said that "the next to go is
> capitalism".  One could speculate on how this can happen, but the
> capitalist system will certainly not go away by itself since the
> power of greed and egoism that structures it is so strong. It will
> have to be forced to go. This can only happen through a major
> crash of the worlds economy starting in the major stock exchanges.
> A crash that will make the 1920's look like childs play in
> comparison.

European bankers have been anticipating such a crash,
and preparing for it, for the last couple of years.

> The fundation for this is already laid as the US is spending far
> more than it earns and now has a foreign debt of countless
> trillions.

The actual figure is staggering.  The United States has
to borrow 2 billion a DAY to keep going.

> The day could come in the near future when the rest of the world
> (noteably Japan and China)will not only stop to buy more dollars
> bonds from the USA, but could demand to have their loans back.

One can only hope.  In a very real sense, it is the foreign
investors who keep the fiction of the US economy propped up
who are the ones to blame for its foreign policies.

> Where would the US get the money from to pay
> back, when the funds simply do not excist ?

They won't.  They will abrogate all their debts and refuse
to pay off any of them, and there STILL won't be enough
money to keep going in the same way they have become
accustomed to.  As you said, it will make the Depression
look like a walk in the park.  And I think that if the
country survives it, the dose of humility and reality
will be good for the US in the long run.

> Lenin said that capitalism will eat itself up from within. That is
> exactly what has happened. The chaos that follows this crash will
> put demands on humanity on a scale we have never witnessed. It
> will be very difficult to structure new ways of distributing the
> goods from this bountiful planet. But it is possible and it will
> happen.

I agree.  The scenario we are painting may seem negative
to some, but if you look at history, it is usually during
times of great deprivation that humanity remembers its
humanity and remembers the concept of sharing.

> The
> only system that will not have a role in the new economy, to
> distribute justly our resources so that all men have at least will
> have the basics for survival, will be capitalism.

I'm not sure I would go that far.  There is nothing inherently
wrong with capitalism if it is practiced by those who *also*
have a sense of connection and responsibility with regard to
their fellow humans.

Unc