--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Curtis,
>
> You continue to score points over here.
>
> Curtis: You don't get a pass for ragging because the kids are dying.
>
> Edg: I tried the ME -- didn't work.  I tried to engage the
> collaborators with words.  Didn't work. What do you suggest?
>
> Curtis: I think you over objectify your targets out of their humanity
> sometimes.  That is a human loss no matter what their POV is.
>
> Edg:  Good points.  I do objectify these scoundrels, cuz that's what
> they must BE to have such blind eyes when they think they're looking
> at the world 20/20.  It is their mindset I am objectifying.  If I had
> them on their knees and me with a sword, I couldn't cut off their
> heads, but if I could push a button and remove the predation and
> elitism in them, I'd hit that button with a sledge hammer.
>
> Curtis: The people who wanted to get the pundits some freak'n decent
> clothes for Iowa Winter were following an impulse of kindness that I
> admire.  Do we have to relate it to other problems?  Can't is just be
> cool on its own?
>
> Edg:  Again, nice points, and yes, there are some very good hearts in
> FF -- hearts that are abused and used again and again by the TMO.
> And, yes, I could pick my battles, but coward that I am, so much that
> I used to do when I was a protesting hippy simply is too risky for me
> today -- words are the only bullets I have left.  To me, they're like
> the 2x4 used to get a mule's attention.
>
> Curtis: I don't know that he [Dick] isn't.  Maybe he is caring for a
> sick parent at home and this is his outlet for hope.  I think you
> brought a gun to a fistfight and you are bound to shoot off a few
> rounds.  At this stage, knowing what we all know, I suspect TBs have
> some good reasons for believing as they do.  It isn't for me, and I am
> judgmental about it too.  But I don't need to kick a crutch out from
> under someone, even if that is how I may view some of the movement
> believer shit.
>
> Edg:  More good points -- you show your heart.  I don't know that I
> can match you for your willingness to cut TBs a break.  There were
> many Nazi TBs that thought they were doing the most holy thing by
> purifying their race, ya know?  Hard to sort the really bad guys out
> and leave the Dick-types alone.
>
> Curtis: I just think you are being too personal in your attack and not
> allowing for a person with real needs like yours.
>
> Edg:  Yeah, when someone's actions are affecting me emotionally, I do
> take it personally.  All my life, I've eaten shit from just about
> everyone and said "ooo, yummy."  But no more.  If it's merely a speck
> of shit from Dick or a plateful from Richard, I'm complaining. But, I
> know I use too broad a brush -- a lot.
>
> Edg:  "I don't have patience with folks who refuse to see the
> implications of their positions when if those positions are
> extrapolated into their extreme forms evil is then easily seen."

> [...]

Hey Edg,

You met me more than half way here, thanks.  When you look at how many
things had to change in the way were were relating to each other, how
many choices we made to inflate the one dimensional caricature of each
other we were relating to, into a more nuanced, more human, 3-D one, I
think we can understand why such an event is rare here.  We both
decided to do the work.  We prioritized it and were willing to take a
few shots as we negotiated a better way to relate. I appreciate it
very much.

I don't think we can ever assume that another poster is willing or
interested in going through that.  It can't be forced on somebody,
thats for sure.  And since the medium we are communicating with is so
flat, it only takes a few harsh words to spin it all back into its
original compressed, protected form.  I think it is usually worth a
try.  But when that fails I just try to accept what a person will
offer here.  Both Shemp and Richard can post some interesting stuff,
and I just focus on that.  I fired my self from the job of changing
other people a long time ago.  I totally sucked at it anyway.  Now I
just say my piece for my own peace.  Maybe that is what you are doing
as well.

About the big problems in life... we all pick our own battles.  I
don't rag on anyone here because they have forgotten the African
American sharecropper musicians who invented modern popular music in
the 1920, and 30's.  Well maybe a little.