> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <buttsplicer@> wrote:
> >
> > Been really enjoying reading "Catching the Big Fish". In
> > short chapters David Lynch talks about his TM experience
> > and how it affects his creative spirit. Its really inspiring.
>
> Thanks for the tip, Stu, although I have to
> admit to not being inspired enough by Lynch's
> creativity as a filmmaker to want to read about
> how he got there. It's just a taste thing.

I have always been a huge fan of Lynch's.  I remember seeing "Eraser
Head" at the Roxie(San Francisco) as a midnight movie back in '81.  I
was with filmmaker George Kuchar that night.  He made a pass at me.

That will teach me to have gay filmmakers as heros.

Anyway, it was a fitting event on the night of Eraser Head. Elephant
Man was good.  Blue Velvet was way out there.  And I enjoyed
Mulholland Drive much.  His films are always cutting edge.

And the Twin Peaks pilot was one of the best 2 hours of TV.  It was
made just to put everyone out of their head for a spell.

An excellent use of mainstream TV.

> But I'm replying to say congratulations (in an
> associated-with-the-project sorta way) for all
> the Golden Globe nominations for "Pushing
> Daisies." I hope come Emmy time you get recog-
> nized personally.

Thanks.  The globe nom is a good sign.  The Emmys are a long way off,
September.  The awards are nice but they have not done much for my
career.  I do like the recognition though.

> As a dedicated fan, I can't help but notice
> that the IMDB listings for PD (as for many other
> series) seem to reflect the writers' strike. No
> new episodes scheduled at this point, and after
> a major cliffhanger, to boot.  :-(

Bryan Fuller did not want to cross the picket lines to polish the cut.
 That gave me the opportunity to do it myself.  I had a great time.
There was a lame scene of Emerson giving Abner Newsome the reward
money to finish that story.  I got to shoot that piece of Abner
Newsome getting his new heart.  Wrote the narration for that area as
well.  Then replaced the old scene.  They gave me a crew for a day to
make some fixes like that.  Had a really fun creative time.

I am hoping when the strike ends they will let me direct one.

> I always enjoy the Golden Globe nominations,
> because they seem so much more in tune with what
> is actually *good* that year than the Oscars or
> the Emmys are. Some of my faves this year, bear-
> ing in mind that I don't live in the US and have
> to watch most TV and movies in pirated form to
> keep up:

Its screening season here. Given I am on unemployment I have been
going to all the studio screenings.  5 or 6 a week.

> 1. BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
>
>    1. AMERICAN GANGSTER
Not Scorsese or Copella

>    2. ATONEMENT

Really good romantic drama. Slight echo of "Very Long Engagement" in
that it is a romance with war tugging the lovers apart.

The themes are entirely different, and very well played.

>    3. EASTERN PROMISES
Did not see yet.
>    4. THE GREAT DEBATERS
Will see next week.
>    5. MICHAEL CLAYTON
I found it predictable but entertaining.

>    6. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Excellent Cohen Bros film.  No Fargo but still well worth seeing.  So
dark,such hopelessness, really no way to win in that world.

>    7. THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Paul Thomas Anderson manages to make a period film with his own style
shining though.  Danial Day Lewis is really good, sometimes a bit over
the top.  The first 20 minutes of movie without dialog are brilliant.

> I've seen only a few of these, but all look like
> good, solid work from what I've heard.

Its a tough call, but my guess is Atonement will take the trophy.

> 2. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
>
>    2. JULIE CHRISTIE – AWAY FROM HER

Keira Knightley – Atonement - So hot she sizzles.
Angelina Jolie – A Mighty Heart - turns in a surprisingly believable
performance.  Yet I will never see her the same since the 3D Imax
version of her in Beowolf.  It haunts my wettest dreams.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Daniel Day-Lewis – There Will Be Blood  Bigger than life!

> 66 years old, still beautiful, and still getting
> nominated!
>
> 4. BEST MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
>
>    1. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
>
> Token TM content.  :-)

I liked Sweeney Todd, Burton was the perfect guy to do that movie.
Charlie Wilson's War was really good.  Political, savvy, yet just the
right amount of humor to make it fun.  Mike Nichols at his best.

Sweeney Todd will get the award.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Cate Blanchett – I'm Not There  She was amazing.  I totally loved this
movie.  Completely non-linear.  Found the heart of Dylan without
sinking into any of the conventions of a biopic.  This was my favorite
of the lot.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Philip Seymour Hoffman – Charlie Wilson's War, he is plain awesome in
this role.  Picks the whole movie up a notch.

> 15. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
>
>    1. BIG LOVE (HBO)
>    2. DAMAGES (FX NETWORKS)
>    3. GREY'S ANATOMY (ABC)
>    4. HOUSE (FOX)
>    5. MAD MEN (AMC)
>    6. THE TUDORS (SHOWTIME)
>
> Some favorites mentioned here often. I never
> liked Grey's Anatomy, but the others are
> definitely interesting.

Mad Men is the best thing out there.  What a great world of hard
drinking misogynistic guys.  The art direction alone makes it a
winner.  Sometimes the stories move a little slow, but that may be an
AMC budget thing.

Best Animated Feature Film

The Simpsons Movie, was really really good.  Non stop laughs.  But
Ratatouille was good too with clever French stuff - and this is the
foreign critics award.

> 17. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
>
>    1. MICHAEL C. HALL – DEXTER
>    3. HUGH LAURIE – HOUSE

I guess we part ways here.  It goes to either
Jon Hamm – Mad Men (AMC) or
Bill Paxton – Big Love (HBO)

But probably Jon Hamm.

> Talk about torn as to whom to vote for!
>
> 18. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
>
>    5. PUSHING DAISIES (ABC)
No argument there.

> 19.BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES –COMEDY OR
> MUSICAL
>
>    4. ANNA FRIEL – PUSHING DAISIES
She is soooo cute.  She is tiny in real life.

> 20. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR
> MUSICAL
>
>    5. LEE PACE – PUSHING DAISIES

He is such a nice person and smart too.  Really give interesting
choices in his performances.  I can always count on Lee to give me
great reactions.

> Way cool!

Talk to you later.

s.