--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
> <mailander111@> wrote:
> >
> > Did you write this?  The ideas expressed in this poem are
precisely
> why it doesn't matter whether or not there ever lived a man named
> Jesus.  The truth expressed in the myth is not diminished if he
> didn't since he does live in all of us.
>
> You've said a lot in a very few sentences.  IMO, the vedas has been
> saying the same thing in one way or another from the very ancient
> past.  MMY has said that the vedas are saying that It has not
> remained distant from creation, but immersed Itself in creation or
> matter.
>
> From this idea, we gather ideas of the divine incarnating Itself in
> the world.  Thus, we read the personification of the divine in the
> personality of Krishna or Christ.  There will be endless debates as
> to who is the true incarnation of the Divine.  But the point is
that
> the Divine has not remained detached from the world, but rather
> participated in it.
>
> From this viewpoint, the ancients have been saying that human
beings
> are special and not just a biological machine created by evolution
or
> a random roll of the cosmic dice.  What then is the future of
mankind?

Perhaps you will find this interesting:

Avatars down the ages
by Felicity Elliot

Avatars have brought successive revelations to humanity throughout
history. Each Avatar brings some teaching which, correctly
apprehended and gradually applied by humanity, expands our
understanding and is the next step forward in our development.

----------

The successive revelation to humanity of new aspects of reality has
taken place throughout history and continues to do so, as the
emergence of Maitreya, the Christ, demonstrates. In the West our
knowledge is more or less confined to Christianity, but buried in
most ancient myths and legends, and then later in holy scriptures,
there are preserved records of the lives, presence and teachings of
other, earlier teachers or Avatars.

Our focus on the achievements of Jesus in Palestine frequently blinds
us to, or at least dims our appreciation of, the contribution of
other Avatars and other faiths. This blinkered view of the unfoldment
of humanity's evolution makes the acceptance of the appearance of yet
another teacher difficult for many Westerners. Each Avatar has
brought some teaching which, correctly apprehended and gradually
applied by humanity, expands our understanding and is the next step
forward in our development.

Hercules

One of the first such teachers appeared so far back in time that it
is impossible to say when he lived, but ancient legend carries the
memory of His achievements: Hercules, a hero-teacher,
portrayed "through the form of a pictorial and world drama (symbolic
in nature) the concept oaf great objective, only to be reached as the
result of struggle and difficulty." The Reappearance of the Christ,
by Alice A. Bailey, Lucis Publishing Co. He presented to humanity the
concept of great tests and trials on the path back to the Father, the
journey of evolution itself, epitomized and preserved in the Twelve
Labors of Hercules. These are the tests all are subjected to prior to
each initiation.

Vyasa

Vyasa was another great Avatar who brought to humanity the message
that death is not the end. The impact of such an apparently simple
concept was enormous, since it meant that the possibility now existed
for identification with a higher immortal self rather than with the
physical-plane life only.

The Buddha

There were many other lesser teachers between the time of Vyasa and
the Buddha, but the Buddha was a major teacher who came to the East
bringing enlightenment, the answers to the many questions which
plague and puzzle humanity about its own existence. He came "to lay
the foundation for a more enlightened approach to life, giving the
teaching which would open the door to the work of the Christ who
would, He knew, follow in His steps." (Alice Bailey, The Reappearance
of the Christ)

By giving out the Four Noble Truths, He answered man's question: why?
He taught that man's suffering was of his own making, and that the
focusing of desire on the material and the ephemeral caused all
despair, hatred and competition, and was why "man found himself
living in the realm of death-- the realm of physical living..." His
life, example and teachings prepared the way for the Christ. Coming
approximately 500 years before the Christ, the Buddha was a
manifestation of the Wisdom aspect of God, just as the Christ is the
embodiment of the Love aspect. These two great Avatars continue to
work together, the Buddha aiding and supporting Maitreya, the Christ,
in His present mission to the world.

It is interesting to note that He who is known as the Buddha worked
through His disciple, the Prince Gautama, in a way similar to that in
which Maitreya, holder of the office of the Christ, overshadowed the
disciple Jesus, who acted as His vehicle in Palestine. The Master
Djwhal Khul says (in The Reappearance of the Christ) that, around
about the time of the Christ's return, the Buddha will send two
trained disciples to reform Buddhism -- this at a time when the
Master Jesus will be taking certain initial steps towards reassuming
control of His church. Buddhism, along with other religions, awaits
the coming of another great teacher. He is known as Maitreya Buddha,
the Fifth Buddha in the continuing line of divine revelation.

Krishna and Sankaracharya

Sri Krishna and Sankaracharya, two great Avatars, were both previous
incarnations of Maitreya. Krishna appeared around 3000 BC, and
Sankaracharya lived in about 800 BC. Sankaracharya gave "deep
instruction upon the nature of the Self," while Sri Krishna, by
demonstrating the need to control the astral, emotional nature,
opened the door to the second initiation. In Palestine, working
through the disciple Jesus, Maitreya the Christ completed the work of
the Buddha by manifesting the Love aspect of deity.

A comparison of all religions shows their common
elements. "Eventually a new world religion will be inaugurated which
will be a fusion and synthesis of the approaches of East and West.
The Christ will bring together not simply Christianity and Buddhism,
but the concept of God transcendent, outside His creation, and also
the concept of God immanent in all creation." Both approaches will
come together in a new religion based on the Mysteries of Initiation
and an informed knowledge of the Science of Invocation of Deity.

----------

GAUTAMA FORESAW MAITREYA
"Now in those days, brethren, there shall arise in the world an
Exalted One by name Maitreya (the Kindly One) an Arhat, a Fully
Enlightened One, endowed with wisdom and righteousness, a Happy One,
a World-knower, the Peerless Charioteer of men to be tamed, a teacher
of the devas and mankind, an Exalted One, a Buddha like myself. He of
His own abnormal powers shall realize and make known the world, and
the worlds of the devas, with their Maras, their Brahmas, the host of
recluses and brahmins, of devas and mankind alike, even as I do now.
He shall proclaim the Norm, lovely in its beginning, lovely in its
middle, and lovely in the end thereof. He shall make known the wholly
perfect life of righteousness in all its purity, both in the spirit
and in the letter of it, even as I do now. He shall lead an Order of
Brethren numbering many thousands, even as I do now lead an order of
Brethren numbering many hundreds."    (Gautama the Buddha in DIGHA
NIKAYA)

http;//shareintl.org