--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > More than 10 years later and I am still seeing references in our
> > popular culture to Bill Clinton's infamous response to the
question
> > whether he ever smoked marjuana.
> >
> > And every time I see a reference or comment or joke about it on
TV,
> > radio, internet, or newspapers, it is virtually always with the
> > assumption that Clinton was lying, i.e. that he actually did
inhale
> > or that he was trying to be disingenuous or trying to have it
both
> > ways or something by coming up with the "I didn't inhale" answer.
> >
> > Well, I totally disagree with this popular assessemnt and in fact
> > Ibelieve that Clinton was being totally and completely honest
with
> > his answer.
> >
> > Despite enjoying the occasional cigar (which he may not even do
> > anymore and which doesn't require inhaling), it is my
understanding
> > that Clinton has been a life-long non-smoker.
> >
> > Some people never start smoking -- indeed, never even try it
once --

> > and find inhaling cigarette or other types of smoke a totally
> foreign
> > and abhorrent to do.
> >
> > I don't know about all of you, but I know several people like
that
> > that I've met throughout my life.  My aunt, for example, never
even
> > once tried smoking.  My mother, who smoked for about a decade out
> of
> > some misplaced sense of sympathy or peer-group pressure for my
> > father, never inhaled when she smoked.
> >
> > So when Clinton says he didn't inhale when he tried marijuana,
not
> > only is it totally plausible, I think that that is EXACTLY what
> > happened!  In other words, he was in a social situation where all
> of
> > his peers at that moment were indulging and he was passed a joint
> and
> > either not wanting to be a party-pooper or, simply, didn't want
> go
> > to the hassle of resisting peer-group pressure, put the joint to
> his
> > lips and sucked on it but didn't inhale.
> >
> > In his innocence -- and considering that not inhaling smoke,
> > cigarettes or otherwise, was his reality, his worldview -- when
> asked
> > during his presidential campaign whether he ever tried marijuana,
> > his "yes, but I didn't inhale" was totally honest.
> >
> > And I would say admirable.
>

> Someone at work called Clinton "Slick Willie" for his penchant for
> dodging questions.  His most infamous line should be, "I didn't
have
> sex with that woman."--with his wagging fingers flashed across the
TV
> set.  It was fairly similar to Nixon's, "I am not a crook" line.
> Clinton was lucky he dodged a big bullet, the impeachment.

To be accurate, Clinton did NOT dodge the impeachment; Clinton was,
most certainly, impeached.

Impeachment was the process of the trial in the Senate that was
presided over by the Chief Justice of the Suprme Court, which occured
as a result of a majority vote on impeachment in the House of
Representatives.  This all occured for Clinton, so he was impeached.

What he dodged was being removed from office as a result of the vote
in the Senate, which he won.