> Wouldn't it be interesting if Americans chose between a black
> Muslim and a white Baptist minister for president?

Indeed it would.

Would Americans be intelligent enough to drop
the labels and see it as a race between two men?

Not likely.

Not any more likely than Fairfield Life is to
get past labels like "TMer" vs. "anti-TMer" or
"evolved" vs. "unevolved" or "enlightened" vs.
"unenlightened" or "atheist" vs. "believer in
God" or even "lying to others" vs. "lying to
oneself." Labels are a way of pretending that
complex situations (or people) can be described
in...uh...black and white.

Americans are *addicted* to labels. They buy
products based on the labels, and they buy
politicians based on the label. And then they
complain when the reality of what they've bought
doesn't quite match up with the claims on the
label.

What I'm waiting for now, as a somewhat dispas-
sionate observer (I gave up on America long ago
as anything but entertainment), is the *new*
labels that their opponents are going to try to
affix to these two men, and to the others who
are still in the race. I suspect that some of
the labels are going to get very ugly indeed.

In my rather radical opinion, politics should
be label-free, to the extent of being *political
party* free. Parties are just another way of
trying to label a product to make a complex sit-
uation look simple. I'd love to see a democracy
that just had a big jumble of candidates in a
political race, with "party affiliations" not
only not used, but rendered illegal.

Each candidate would have to stand on his or
her *own* record, establish his or her *own*
credibility, make public his or her *own* beliefs
and policies. They'd get no "boost" from other
candidates or from the party they're supposedly
part of.

The only drawback I can see to this idea is the
one that will prevent it ever happening in real
life. Voters would actually have to learn to think.