Secret:

"Tell me if I have the facts straight.  Tuition at the Maharishi
School is USD 12,000 a year and the teachers get net to nothing?  If
anywhere near true, they must be using mighty expensive teaching
materials."

Edg:

Haven't had any kids in MSAE for seven years, so don't know the deal
today, but from 1980 to 2000 the tuition was up to about four - five
thousand for a high school kid, and the teachers got about 300 a
month, plus food at Anapurna, and a trailer and some other benefits --
chief of which was that your own kids were totally free if you taught
full time...so those teachers were "paid" that way, and if they had 5
kids then they got about 25,000 in benefits, but other teachers had no
kids and only got the basic package.

It was worked out with each teacher in secret, and teachers were told
to keep it a secret, and there was a lot of suspicions about some
folks getting better deals.

It takes a lot of money to run a school, and the 50% of the tuitions
that MSAE did get was spent fast just on operations while the teachers
went without anything like a normal salary cuz they knew that there
was no money for them.

Of course, they somehow found all the money needed to build a new wing
at MSAE, tear down buildings for MUM's new buildings, limo service for
visiting big wigs, etc.  And yeah, MUM's money was separate from
MSAE's money -- so they said, -- but we all knew it went into a big
slush fund at some point, and the money was there but spent on
anything but teacher salaries.

Every single year there were several big fund raising drives that held
the poor kids as hostages "unless you can donate more" to everyone.
Rich folks got dozens and dozens of calls every year or were grabbed
outside the dome by desperate parents looking for tuition money.
Scandalous is what it was when a simple community wide fee could have
funded the school and everyone who arrived with kids would be welcomed
into a free educational system.  I would have paid such a "tax."  But,
we know that that cash flow would quickly be routed to anything but
education and it would be much more easy to catch the TMO grabbing
their percentage.

I cannot think but that the above type of abuse continues today.  It's
ten below zero outside tonight, but I've felt colder shivers bracing
myself to beg for a scholarship.  Tough tough tough to do when one's
allegiance to the dogma and the TMO was waining but the kids were
incredibly happy to have so many friends.  No matter the quality of
the education, the social scene was very good for growing psychologies
in my opinion.  The kids never did really buy into the cult thing, not
most of them, so I think most got through the experience quite well.

Edg