> Meditation has its place. Hypnosis has its place.
> Reading this post makes you more "attached" to the
> gunas. John instead of repeating boilerplate TM dogma,
> try thinking independently. Quite refreshing,
> actually.

Pete,

I've been giving some thought to the distinctions you made on a
in your perspective on how they relate.  Since both of them study the
inward direction of a person's mind, there must be some areas of
illumination for both fields.  Here is where I am so far.

1. Studying hypnosis teaches you about how language shifts a person's
state for their usual mix of sensory attention, to an inward state
where the mind is more flexible.  When I studied the language of
hypnosis, I was struck with how teaching meditation used similar
language patterns. Both techniques lead to a state of mind that is
different from our eyes opened state.  With the inner states self
hypnosis achieve, the differences get even more murky.

2. But the goals and end state may have some big differences.  Usually
in hypnosis therapy you shift the state just enough to help facilitate
a specific change in a behavior or thinking pattern.  So getting to
the deepest possible trance is not necessary or even desirable.  In
meditation the purpose is to experience your awareness itself in at
it's simplest state, beyond the objects of attention. (I know MMY
would have a conniption fit about having an intent in meditation to
reach any state!  I am not talking about the process, just the
theoretical goal of reaching the source of thought) It is the state
itself that is cultivated as an end in itself repeatedly, so that it
can be experienced along with activity. (MMY has a washer woman dying
a cloth analogy here, but in my version she gets her gauze-like blouse
wet as she dyes the cloth!)

3. Because hypnosis has specific therapeutic goals it can be useful
for making specific changes.  The meditation state doesn't replace the
states reached by hypnosis and vice versa.  I am not 100% on this.

4. Self hypnosis as practiced by John Grinder in NLP begins to bridge
the views a bit.  He was always seeking what he called states of
genius.  States of mind that were not hampered by the constraints of
pre-programming.  He tries to push his mind into challenging
situations that will squeeze out more resources.  This might be as
physical as rock climbing or as internal as mental techniques to shut
down the mind's normal functions for a while.  We used to do exercises
of double inductions where you would have one person in each ear
giving you different instructions for experience.

5. I have not seen that the transcending experience delivers more
flexibility in a person's thinking as predicted by MMY.  It is as if
the state is so unstructured that it is separate from a person's
mental function.  In the context of a goal of "enlightened
functioning" this doesn't seem to bother long-term practicers, who
seem to place little emphasis on its "relative" benefits over time.

6. But the hypnosis change techniques take more effort and I never
found them charming enough to practice them regularly, even though in
the short term I have found them useful.  When I start going inward in
a self hypnosis technique my mind usually reverts to a more content
free state of pure awareness so I feel too lazy to do specific work.

7. Vaj had some interesting distinctions that seemed to indicate that
he believes that hypnosis and superficial meditation lead to a similar
state.  But that meditation if pursued further can lead to an even
deeper state of mind.  I tend to believe that this is possible, but I
am not convinced that it is desirable.  The only reason to go to such
an extreme state of mind seems to be a confidence in a traditional
perspective on its value within spiritual development.

So that's a start if anyone would care to join in.  I believe that
keeping these two fields of understanding the mind's capability apart
is a waste of possible perspective and insight.  I think there is much
that can be learned looking at each perspective to see where they
overlap and where they differ.  With techniques like the sidhis, I
think we find more areas of overlap. the Age of Enlightenment
technique is another obvious blend for me.  Anytime we are functioning
with specific intent within a state of meditation, hypnotic principles
may apply. And since those principles with their benifits and pitfalls
have been studied to some degree by some mental health professionals
(Dr, Peter!) we might be able to understand our minds better.