--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Active Volcano under ice
> >
> > Leigh Dayton, Science writer | January 22, 2008
> >
> > AN active volcano has been found under Antarctica's rapidly
melting
> > western ice sheet.
> >
> > Although it has not erupted for more than 2000 years, heat from
the
> > geologically active Hudson Mountains Subglacial Volcano helps
explain
> > why nearby Pine Island Glacier shrinks by more than a kilometre
every
> > year, British scientists claim.
> >
> > The discovery follows reports last week that Antarctica's ice cap
is
> > melting faster than previously believed.
> >
> > According to those findings, the greatest loss was from the West
> > Antarctic Ice Sheet and the Antarctic Peninsula. Together, they
lost
> > nearly 200billion tonnes of ice in 2006 alone.
> >
> > Glaciologists Hugh Corr and David Vaughan of the British
Antarctic
> > Survey in Cambridge claim the discovery of the first known
subglacial
> > volcanic eruption promises to improve predictions of future sea-
level
> > rise caused by the melting of the WAIS.
> >
> > "We believe this was the biggest eruption in Antarctica during
the
> > last 10,000 years," Dr Corr said. "It blew a substantial hole in
the
> > ice sheet and generated a plume of ash and gas that rose around
> > 12km."
> >
> > The team identified a large layer of volcanic ash in the ice.
> >
> > Additional evidence for the eruption came from ice cores
collected
> > across the continent.
> >
> > Writing in Nature Geoscience, Dr Corr and Dr Vaughan suggested
the
> > increased heat from the eruption, which they dated to 325BC, led
> > melting of the surrounding and overlying ice which, in turn,
> > increased the flow rate of nearby glaciers.
> >

> http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/01/21/antarctica-
volcano.html

> However, he adds, the heat from the Hudson Mountains subglacial
> volcano would probably not affect neighbouring glaciers.
>
> "It cannot explain the more widespread thinning of West Antarctic
> glaciers that together are contributing nearly 0.2 mm per year to
> sea-level rise," Vaughan said. "This wider change most probably has
> its origin in warming ocean waters."

Alex: aren't you HAPPY that the melting glaciers are the result of a
volcanoe?  If true, that would mean that global warming is NOT man-
made and that we will NOT all die a horrible death like Al Gore wants
us to believe.

Aren't you excited about the possibility that the concept of man-made
catastrophic global warming is all bunk?