Guru Dev was known for his self-sufficiency and would
not accept donations from anyone, whether rich or
poor. In fact, a sign was erected at his ashram which
said,

"Worthy of Worship, Infinitely Bestowed, The
Universal Guru Shankaracharya Jyotirmath, Swami
Brahmananda Saraswati Maharaj prohibits any offerings
of wealth."

Among the sages of India, the concept of
self-sufficiency has a special meaning. First, it
means one who is filled with love of the Divine and
beyond personal human relationships. Second, it means
one who is beyond personal attachments and cannot be
swayed from right action. And third, it means one who
lives without any earthly means of support.

Often people tried to curry favor with Guru Dev by
offering money or other valuable goods, but he
maintained his independence and never accepted gifts.
On one occasion, a merchant confided to Guru Dev that
he was involved in a legal problem and was being sued.
Guru Dev listened to his story without making any
comment. During the next few days, the law suit was
settled in the man's favor. Assuming that Guru Dev had
mysteriously helped in some way, he returned to the
ashram bearing an offering of gold coins. When Guru
Dev learned of the offering, he said to the man,

"You offer me money but you don't offer it to
those poor who ask you for it. To those who need it,
you offer nothing. You offer it to me? Do I have a son
or daughter I need to marry off? Take the money and
go. Give it to those who need it. If you want to give
me something, give me your greed, your lusts, your
weaknesses. That is what you really hold dear above
all else. Give me everything that stands between you
and God."

As Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath, Guru Dev took on the
responsibility of restoring the Shankaracharya
tradition throughout Northern India. This was a huge
task involving many tours as well as the acquisition
of property and reconstruction of temples and
monasteries, with costs running into the millions of
rupees. Several times large fund raising campaigns
were planned but Guru Dev always vetoed these
proposals. In mysterious ways, sufficient resources
always appeared, when and as needed, to accomplish the
projects at hand. The question foremost on everyone's
mind, "How does Guru Dev accomplish this? He seems to
have no access to money and as a Dandi Swami, he
doesn't even touch money. How can a person who has
been a renunciate from the age of 9 and who never
accepts donations, arrange for these expensive
transactions?" When pressed for an answer, Guru Dev
simply said, "No human being has been involved in
these things". When begged by his followers to
elaborate, he went on to say,

"During the time of the Mahabharat, when the
Kauravas unabashedly tried to strip Draupadi naked,
wherefrom did come yard upon yard of the sari she was
wearing?? And it was of the same color and pattern,
thousands of yards. Not a different color. Not a
different pattern. Same color and pattern, yard upon
yard. When God gives, He gives all that is required:
the whole thing〓the real thing. What could happen at
the time of the Mahabharat, can take place now. God
has not changed. He is ever the same."

On at least one occasion, Guru Dev spoke openly about
his ability for attracting resources. It was in
December 1952, that Guru Dev was visited by then
President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad. When making a
point about the master/disciple relationship, Guru Dev
related one of his own experiences as a disciple of
Swami Krishnanand.

"When I first met Guruji in Uttar-Kashi, my first
request was, 'Please give me that knowledge which will
make me self sufficient so that I do not have to beg
anything from anyone.' It is my Guru's grace that to
this day I have never had to stretch my hands before
anyone."

Thus, by the grace of his guru, he fulfilled the
promise he had made to his mother many years earlier
when he left home.

from:
http://www.srigurudev.net/srigurudev/gurudev/biography.html

Checked by AVG Free Edition.