> > The irony is that he died of cardiovascular disease, yet
> > recently Maharishi told Purusha they shouldn't exercise
> > because "Exercise isn't part of our tradition."
>
> That would be ironic only if the type of
> cardiovascular disease he had would have
> been prevented or remedied by exercise
> during the time he was in Purusha.

according to wikipedia, sedentary lifestyle is one of the
risk factors that are modifiable; some risk factors like
genetic predispositon cannot be modified.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiovascular_disease

However, unless Maharishi was cautioning against
western exercise methods specifically (like going to the gym),
i find his statement odd, in light of what his own
Maharishi Ayurveda posts on its website, to the contrary:

  Q: How does one know what kind of exercise to do?

  A: Vedic exercise, such as Yoga and Sun Salutes, are the most
highly regarded forms of exercise in Maharishi Ayurveda,
because they rejuvenate and purify the body at a subtle level.
Walking is also an excellent form of exercise for almost anyone,
and is gentle enough for Vata types. Swimming is ideal
for Pitta types, and most Kapha types have a greater capacity
for longer and more intense exercise.

  http://mapi.com/en/newsletters/ayurveda_health_tips.html

a vigorous round of a dozen Salutes to the Sun should be
enough to cut the risk of too much sitting; and what about
all the hopping purusha men do; or do they?