On Feb 4, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:

> My opinion is to wonder why you -- and most Americans --
> believe that you NEED a storage tank to have hot water.
>
> I don't.
>
> None of my neighbors here in Spain do. None of my neigh-
> bors back in France did. Our water heaters are of the
> "on demand" type. They heat up the water as it flows
> through.

I've only once encountered an on demand water heater in the USA, and
it worked fine for the shower. However, it could barely heat water to
lukewarm for the greater flow rate into the bathtub. I asked our
plumber about on demand water heaters, and he had nothing good to say
about them.

I had a Boilermate installed ten years ago and we love it. We never run out of hot water, even when filling a large hot tub, and it runs off of whatever kind of furnace you have.

http://www.amtrol.com/boilermate.htm