Marek,

Thanks for considering my speculations!  I think the special sounds
business was only important for branding.  I thought in the beginning
of teaching in India Maharishi only used the mantra Raam?  Later the
articulated system came out which would have helped if people were
comparing mantras.  It isn't as special if everyone has the same one.

I don't think the specialness is necessary for meditation to be
valuable.  Even the Christian monks I hung out with had a Jesus prayer
from an ancient Hesychasm tradition.  It is remarkably close to TM.  I
think this trick of the human mind has been discovered by many.  So
the extra pieces that Maharishi taught us made his the "best" are
suspect for me.  I'm not even sure most Indians did concentration
meditations.  I don't think Japa is done with effort is it?  In any
case I am slowly coming to my own conclusion that there are a lot of
different ways to achieve this state of mind.  I still haven't figured
out what value it has if practiced a lot.  I think like exercise, you
might be able to get 80% of the value in a very short amount of time.
 Work in progress.

Great bear story!  One morning I came out to a strange sound. My cat
was pulling out a guitar string with his teeth and letting it ring!
He did it many times and was obviously enjoying it.  I started hanging
my guitars on the wall!

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>