--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sandiego108" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Bingo.
> >
> > Selfless service is called that because it's
> > selfless; you're do the work because it gives
> > you joy to do the work. If you EXPECT something
> > "in return," then it's not really selfless
> > service now, is it?...Every TM teacher who worked
> > their butts off to raise money for a TM Center
> > that was then sold out from beneath them by the
> > TMO has a right to be angry at the TMO for doing it.
> >
> > Right?
>
> Huh? why does the above make sense to you?

Glad you asked.  :-)

Really, I am. The answer relates to a discussion
here during the last week or so, about whether
"doing good works" has a value.

I say Yes. Ruth, as I remember, tends to agree.
Some don't. They think that the idea of "selfless
service" is some kind of mood-making if the sup-
posedly good works don't spring automatically
from the level of the "laws of nature" or some
such hogwash. I don't agree.

WHY I don't agree is because of the real nature
of selfless service. It FREES you from having too
much attachment to any *expectations* regarding
the service performed. You do something nice for
someone, or for some charity or group you care
about, and you do it because it feels good JUST
to do it. You don't need to believe that doing
this good work is going to change the world;
you just do the work.

And the cool part of all this is that if the
good work DOESN'T change the world, you don't
feel that you have to bitch and moan and claim
that your time was "wasted" the way Sparaig is
about the work he performed for Chopra and, by
extension, the TM movement.

He did the work. If he had been hip to the real
nature of selfless service, doing the work would
have been ENOUGH. He wouldn't feel let down or
"betrayed" if things didn't turn out the way he
wanted them to. He would have gotten the
"benefits" of doing the work just from
doing the work.

Similarly, if the people who gave a bunch of money
to Maharishi and the TMO for specific projects that
never happened understood the nature of selfless
service, *they* wouldn't necessarily feel bad or
feel that they were ripped off, either.

It's about ATTITUDE.

I gave a lot of money to the TM movement. I gave a
great deal more of my time and energy to the TM
movement. Do I feel ripped off? NO, not at all. I
was having a *ball* while I was doing this, because
I was doing it out of a sense of selfless service.
So things didn't turn out the way I was told they
would. Big Fucking Deal. I had a *ball* anyway. What
have I got to bitch about.

Compare and contrast to giving money to the TM move-
ment or putting in a lot of time and energy furthering
its goals and having nothing come of it, and then
feeling like you have the right to bitch and moan.
Sure, on one level you have the "right," but look at
what *exercising* that "right" buys you -- it makes
you miserable and angry and the kind of person who
hangs onto a grudge for years. Better, in my view,
to just write the whole experience off to being
an exercise in selfless service and move on.

This is why I admire Rick and a number of the people
on this forum who DON'T seem to be holding a grudge.
They paid their dues...they put in their time and
their effort and they contributed big bucks and in
retrospect they now realize that on one level they
were ripped off. But are they angry and spiteful
and still holding grudges as a result? Not in my
estimation. They just write the whole thing off as
a learning experience, as an exercise in selfless
service, and they get back to enjoying their lives
here and now.

That is NOT what I see Lawson doing with regard to
the time, effort and money he put into promoting
Chopra for the TM movement. Instead, he's chosen to
bitch and moan now for years about how Chopra "let
him down" and let Maharishi and the TM movement
down. While he certainly has the RIGHT to feel
that way, it doesn't seem to have made him a very
happy camper. Similarly, the people we hear from
from time to time who bitch and moan about how the
TM movement ripped them off financially and who are
clearly still carrying a grudge about it don't seem
to be happy campers to me.

Rick and the other wonderful people here who "took
what they needed and left the rest" seem more like
happy campers to me. It's all about ATTITUDE. The
notion of selfless service can do *wonders* for
helping develop that attitude.

You can be all pissed off that your hard work didn't
turn out the way you wanted it to in your dreams,
or you can look upon all that hard work as selfless
service and move on. I have a lot more respect for
those who do the latter, that's all.

That doesn't mean that you can't point out that the
organization DID rip you off. It just means that you
don't have to feel bad about it ripping you off.