> I watched Job's keynote at the developers conference yesterday. The
key
> decision wasn't the past performance of the PowerPC processors--it
was
> their future plans. IBM scored at "5" on performance per watt and
Intel
> at "70" for their projected plans--so it was a no brainer. Plus
there
> has yet to be a G5 for laptops.

The laptop issue is a biggie. MY concern is about how this transition
will affect Apple's high-end during the period when IBM has NO
incentive to improve G5's yet Apple won't be producing any high-end
Macs based on Inel for another year or so.

What was wild was he was demonstrating
> some of the new widgets on Mac OS 10.4 and other features on this
huge
> projection screen. Later in the keynote when he announced the plan
for
> Intel, he shows the "About this Mac" splash screen and the whole
demo
> was run on an Intel chip. Every version of Mac OS X has secretly
had an
> Intel compiled version for the last 5 years.

It wasn't so secret. Everyone knew about it, but it wasn't publicly
acknowledged by Apple.

> I just hope it makes Macs cheaper. Apparently Microsoft office will
be
> able to run native on the new boxes.

Why would it make Macs cheaper?

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:38 AM, Alex Stanley wrote:
>
> > And, yet, PC's and Macs are still pretty much neck and neck in
terms
> > of performance. In fact, dual proc Intel Xeons beat a dual proc
AMD