"Without understanding it correctly, people think the
Guru teaches the disciple something like,
'Tat-tvam-asi' and that the disciple realizes 'I am
Brahman'. In their ignorance, they conceive of Brahman
as something more huge and powerful than anything
else. With a limited "I" the man is so stuck-up and
wild. What will be the case if the same "I" grows up
enormous? He will be enormously ignorant and foolish!
This false "I" must perish. Its annihilation is the
fruit of Guru seva[service] Realization is eternal,
and it is not newly brought about by the Guru. He
helps in the removal of ignorance-that is all."

-February 6, 1937 (from Talks with Ramana Maharishi,
p. 265).