--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ispiritkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > What I couldn't agree with less is his sugges-
> > tion that the enlightened can do "anything they
> > want" and actually be enlightened. In my book
> > the enlightened still produce karma, and thus
> > still can create negative karma and suffer the
> > results of it if they perform negative actions.
> >
> > Being able to do "anything they want" is lazy
> > philosophy, <big snip>
>
> Turq, regarding "enlightened" people doing whatever they
> "want", it's important to define "enlightened" and "want".

Indeed. And there we run into the potential
differences between the descriptions of what
enlightenment entails across different spirit-
ual traditions. For the purposes of these
discussions, when I use the term enlightenment,
I'm settling for the "lowest common denominator"
similar to Maharishi's definition of CC. That is,
the subjective awareness of the infinite (Being,
the Absolute, eternity, whatever you want to call
it) 24/7, coexistent with waking, dreaming, and
deep sleep. I *don't* consider any of the other
stuff associated with MMY's definitions of GC
or UC.

IF one assumes this state of a person, *then* the
definition of "wants" depends on what *else* one
assumes about having realized enlightenment. If
one follows the MMY model, then at that point one's
individual "wants" become "in tune" with the cosmic
"wants." The enlightened individual (*because* he/
she is no longer an "individual") has *no choice*
but to "follow the laws of nature" and do what
nature "wants."

I don't believe that. I've met and worked closely
with too many people I suspect of having realized
their enlightenment to believe it. I've also had
my own fleeting experiences with enlightenment, as
defined above. They didn't "abide" and become perm-
anent; it's more like they come and go. But in a sense
I feel that I've "been there done that" enough to
have a feeling for whether individuality and thus
individual "wants" still exist after that state is
realized. I think they are.

I think that the enlightened individual still has
pretty much the *same* "wants" that he or she had
prior to realizing enlightenment. Before enlighten-
ment, chop wood and carry water; after enlightenment,
chop wood and carry water. (Or "Sport wood and carry
condoms," as a friend of mine rephrases this saying.)

Based on my observation and my experience, and on
readings in Tibetan books that speak of the enlight-
ened *losing* their enlightenment as a result of
improper actions, I firmly believe that...uh...to
put it delicately...the enlightened still have the
ability to fuck up.

IMO there IS still ego present, coexistent with the
subjective awareness of the infinite 24/7, enough so
that that ego can sometimes act AS ego, and perform
some action that is NOT appropriate. And when that
happens, the enlightened being suffers the same karma
that someone who has not realized their enlightenment
suffers. Perform the inappropriate actions enough
times, and the person who has realized his or her
enlightenment could actually LOSE it, have it "fade"
and "go away."

These are all MY feelings and opinions on the subject,
although there is support for them in other spiritual
teachings. I am not trying to "push" them or "sell"
them or declare them as any kind of "truth." It's
just that you pinpointed some definitions that have
to be agreed to before discussing a subject like this,
so I'm trying to define what those terms mean to me.

> Perhaps an enlightened
> person would not *want* to do something harmful to someone else.  In
> other words, their motives may be different.

My feeling is that "motives" don't really enter into
any discussion of karma. All that matters is the action,
not the intent behind the action. One could say, and
find support for the idea in his writings, that Adolph
Hitler had benevolent *motives* for his actions. In his
way, he was trying to create an "ideal society" for the
supposed benefit of all who lived in it. But in terms
of karma, he is going to accrue the karma of the actions
themselves, not the intent behind them. Again, this is
Just My Opinion.

> Maybe enlightenment, in
> this sense, is a lot more rare than other definitions would have it.

Or more common. I'm really not sure. All I know is that
if *I*, with my lifestyle and my samskaras, can have had
the clear experience of realizing enlightenment, even if
those experiences lasted only weeks at a time, then anyone
can. Therefore it could be far more common than we hear
about in traditional spiritual circles. Whether these
"more common" experiences of realization *persist* and
remain in place 24/7 for the rest of the experiencer's
life is a larger question.

> This theory would also mean that since some actions would not be
> wanted by the aforementioned enlightened, then people taking those
> actions would thereby not be defined as enlightened.
>
> In my fifth spin around the spiral, I'm getting a bit of a
> headache.  :-]

It doesn't get any better when you are in the middle OF
one of these periods of enlightenment. The same issues of
whether this action is appropriate or not *still* are
present and *still* have to be dealt with, at least in
my opinion. "Getting off the wheel" doesn't mean that we
get off the bicycle and someone/something else does the
pedaling and the steering, at least IMO.