--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "suziezuzie" <msilver1951@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can someone recommend a good version of the Guru Gita?
> >

> The Saint James version always did it for me.

Here's some shlokas, or whatever, from the beginning of that
giitaa:

achintyaavyaktaruupaaya nirguNaaya gaNaatmane |
samastajagadaadhaaramuurtaye brahmaNe namaH || 1||

R^ishhaya uuchuH |
suuta suuta mahaapraaGYa nigamaagamapaaragam.h |
gurusvaruupamasmaakaM bruuhi sarvamalaapaham.h || 2||

yasya shravaNamaatreNa dehii duHkhaadvimuchyate |
yena maargeNa munayaH sarvaGYatvaM prapedire || 3||

(The infamous B.Mullquist would "translate"
that like this:

By merely hearing [shravaNa-maatreNa] of which [yasya]
the Embodied Soul [?? dehii] is liberated [vimuchyate]
from suffering [duHkhaat]; by(?) which [yena]
road [?maargeNa] /munis/ [munayaH] attain [?prapedire*]
all-knowingness [sarva-jñatvam])

*) No idea what the fvck that strange form is of the
verb prapad; it might be some perfect tense form, but
Sanskrit perfect tense is often to be translated
to the corresponding present tense form, like in
"yas tan na *veda*" from the "Rco akSare".