Curtis writes snipped:
At first I sort of resisted using a mantra since I do experience a
similar state without one once I close my eyes and let silence
dominate my attention.  I didn't want to link the experience to my
past practice to hopefully avoid some of the conceptual baggage.  This
worked out well for a while, but then the old engine started up and I
had to decide if I cared enough to actively stop it.  I decided around
the time Maharishi died that this was kind of silly.  TM may not be
the only way to gain a state of meditation, but it clearly is the one
I have put the time into.

TomT:
I have had the experience of seeing/knowing that all of the
mantras/sutras/advanced techniques I was ever taught have become part
of the vibratory quality of my own DNA. I was meditating one day and
began to see each of the tools that were given and practiced had moved
into and become part of my base DNA and it was a way of knowing my
self. It was kind of funny as I am a pretty pure Pitta guy so most of
my experiences are of the visual nature. This one day I was looking
for a long time at something I did not understand until it was an Ah
Ha moment and then it was "this is my DNA". From that it was a way of
seeing where and how each of these tools had been placed. Interesting
and revealing and then the words MMY once said made sense to me. This
stuff is very sticky. If we don't practice it it runs itself like a
subroutine on the cellular level. That and a buck will get you a small
cup of coffee. Tom