> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity" ruthsimplicity@
wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity"
ruthsimplicity@

> > Time
> > minimize
> > highly
> > > >

> > > Not to pass judgement on what happened during your car crash, but
> > there is a distinct
> > > brainwave pattern seen during witnessing/samadhi during TM and
reports
> > of long-term
> > > TMers of witnessing waking/dreaming/sleeping are highly correlated
> > with this pattern.
> > >
> > > An extereme example of it is found in the right-side diagram of
this
> > > http://web.mac.com/lawsonenglish/Site/Meditation_EEG.html
> > >

> > > This EEG pattern is associated with relaxed/restful awareness. It
is
> > POSSIBLE that you
> > > happened to go into that state during a car crash, but more likely
you
> > had a dissociative
> > > state, which has been correlated with asymmetric functioning of
the
> > brain where the
> > > intellect is dominating or where the emotional side is
dysfunctional
> > (or both, I guess).
> > >
> > > The classic EEG pattern where the intellect is dominating would be
> > where the gamma
> > > frequencies are highly active in that part of the brain. Sorta
like
> > what is found in the EEG of
> > > long-term practitioners of the Buddhist meditation found on the
left
> > side of the above
> > > URL.
> > >
> > > Whether or not these two distinctly different meditative states
are
> > equivalent at some
> > > deeper level is unknown at this time.
> > >

> > I agree that it likely was dissociation, but it certainly was an
> > effective way of dealing with an accident and it ended as soon as
the
> > accident ended, with me able to remember every detail.  Moments of
> > dissociation are highly adaptive.
> >
> >    I agree that the Alpha pattern is associated with rest, with
brain
> > "idling."  But I when I think about the intellect dominating, I
> > generally  think beta activity, using your intellect to process
> > information and  problem solve.
> >

> Gamma is associated with concentration. When you apay attention to an
object of
> attention, alpha gets blocked. Or, in MMY's terms, self-referral
consciousness gets lost in
> object-referral consciousness.

Well Gamma is associated with a lot more than concentration.  Simple
problem solving will yield beta.  Heightened awareness will yield Gamma.
Is that concentration?  Can be.  But concentration implies  effort and
that does not have to be at all the case.

> >    Fear and heightened states of arousal  can correlate with beta
and
> > gamma activity.  Also,  heightened states of consciousness or
awareness
> > can correlate with gamma activity. So I can see that dissociation
> > occurring during a car accident or when you face an emergency and
need
> > to act without panic, could be correlated with gamma activity.  Do
you
> > have a cite which relates gamma activity to dissociation?
> >

> I have a site that correlates increased assymetry in hemisopheric
functioning with
> dissociation... Just look for dissociative states and EEG on
entrez-vous.

Problem is dissociation means too many things.  I would appreciate a
link to the site. Otherwise I will poke around.

> >   Dissociative states where people space out and forget what they
did
> > probably  correlates with increased alpha activity and not gamma
> > activity all at.  Two different kinds of dissociation, yes?
> >

> Alpha would not be dissociation because it is RESTING. Disociation
implies watching
> something *going on*. with Pure Concciousness, there is nothing going
on. When alpha is
> blocked, somethign starts to "go on."

You miss what I am saying.  There is more than one kind of dissociation.
One kind of dissociative state is where people "space out" and forget
what happened for a period of time.  As near as I can determine this
does in fact can  correlate with increased alpha activity.  The kind of
dissociation where you "split" and watch what is going on is totally
different and I agree could involve gamma activity.  I would not say,
though, that nothing is going on with alpha.  In fact, I think something
is always going on. ;)  If nothing else, you are running the systems.
Alpha isn't some magical state.  I am not sure I buy that pure
consciousness is somehow associated with alpha.

I have to do a lot more reading and I sure have not read much in the
past 20 years on these issues.  You seem to have a lot of interesting
resources.  I am not really looking to argue, I just want to know what
you are basing your opinions on so I can make my own evaluation.

> > However, I disagree that gamma activity is simply a matter of the
> > intellect dominating.  Like some TM'ers argue that alpha activity is
of
> > major significance (not just a matter of rest) , some buddists would
> > argue gamma activity is of major significance (not just a matter of
> > perception).
>
> Again, look at that url. The alpha synchrony there is 100% across a
dozen or so leads. !00
> percent, as in, you can (as Fred Travis did in that illustration) draw
a vertical line with a
> ruler down the peaks of all leads...

Yes, I do not disagree on the alpha coherence.  The issue is what does
it mean?  And what does the gamma activity mean?

<snip>

> > So then, what would be the signs of witnessing sleep?  May I also
ask
> > what is your background?
> >

> Alpha synchrony + regular sleep EEG< I believe. 35 years reading this
stuff and talking to
> researchers about it.

Thanks!   So do you have a study?  When will the alpha synchrony occur?
What are the reported signs by the subjects if any?  I assume that they
generally report witnessing?  Do they report any specific experiences
during sleep?    I have a break of 20 years in reading this stuff, but I
am educated well enough to understand what I am reading and to evaluate
the research.    I also participated as a student in early meditation
and biofeedback research, not sponsored by the TMO.