--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsimplicity" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
[...]
> > Alpha would not be dissociation because it is RESTING. Disociation
> implies watching
> > something *going on*. with Pure Concciousness, there is nothing going
> on. When alpha is
> > blocked, somethign starts to "go on."
> >

> You miss what I am saying.  There is more than one kind of dissociation.

No doubt.

> One kind of dissociative state is where people "space out" and forget
> what happened for a period of time.  As near as I can determine this
> does in fact can  correlate with increased alpha activity.

Well, insomuch as alpha means the brain isn't processing outside data, I would
agree that
thsi sis the case. However, "witnessing" as a noticeable state is something
possibly
different then merely showing alpha, which is associated with non-information
processing.
At teh most philosophical level, perhaps not, but in terms of what is a
reportable state of
"witnessing," there's likely more requirements then simply "alpha."

  The kind of
> dissociation where you "split" and watch what is going on is totally
> different and I agree could involve gamma activity.  I would not say,
> though, that nothing is going on with alpha.  In fact, I think something
> is always going on. ;)  If nothing else, you are running the systems.
> Alpha isn't some magical state.  I am not sure I buy that pure
> consciousness is somehow associated with alpha.

Well, its highly correlated with self-reports of witnessing during meditation,
and
witnessing during sleep, dreaming & waking activity

> I have to do a lot more reading and I sure have not read much in the
> past 20 years on these issues.  You seem to have a lot of interesting
> resources.  I am not really looking to argue, I just want to know what
> you are basing your opinions on so I can make my own evaluation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

search: travis meditation

> > Alpha synchrony + regular sleep EEG< I believe. 35 years reading this
> stuff and talking to
> > researchers about it.
> >

> Thanks!   So do you have a study?  When will the alpha synchrony occur?
> What are the reported signs by the subjects if any?  I assume that they
> generally report witnessing?  Do they report any specific experiences
> during sleep?    I have a break of 20 years in reading this stuff, but I
> am educated well enough to understand what I am reading and to evaluate
> the research.    I also participated as a student in early meditation
> and biofeedback research, not sponsored by the TMO.

My bad. No significant differences for alpha coherence during sleep.

http://www.fredtravis.com/Sleepwit.html

Lawson