> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 21, 2008, at 1:20 AM, sparaig wrote:
> >
> > > And THESE are the remarks that have promopted the response
> > > everyone has made?
> > >
> > > Get real.
> >
> > And the same people who fixate on Wright (or, more to the
> > point, on Obama for belonging to his church) are sometimes
> > the very same ones who blithely dismiss Hillary's politically-
> > calculated vote for war which has resulted in the deaths of
> > tens of thousands, as well as her general support for the
> > Republican agenda, which has bankrupted the country.
> >
> > And yet Obama's the one they claim should drop out.  Sheesh.
>
> I'm not sure if you're including me in the above, Sal,
> but just for the heck of it:
>
> *Some* of us progressives have no problem on a personal
> level with Obama's association with Wright and his church.
> In fact, some of us don't have any problem with Wright
> himself (except for his wackier conspiracy theories, such
> as that AIDS was a U.S. government plot to commit genocide
> on blacks).

Its not all that wacky. As I pointed out before, the theory that AIDS was
induced in africa
by infected OPV was credible enough that the WHO had to formally refute it.

AND... let us not forget (as I did) the Tuskugee Syphilis study...

Its not a stretch to conflate those two points, the discredited theory AND the
horrific nazi-
esque study, and come up with the idea that AIDS was a US gov conspiracy. Many
gays
believed that for a very long time as well.

> Moreover, the association with Wright in and of itself
> wouldn't stop us from supporting Obama in the primary
> and the general election.
>
> So what do you imagine our objection to it is about?
>
> (BTW, I don't think any progressive "blithely dismisses"
> Hillary's vote for the AUMF, including those who are
> supporting her. On the other hand, the notion that she
> generally supports the Republican agenda is just off
> the wall.)

However, there's a scary thing about both Obama AND Clinton supporters in this
election:
they are personality supporters rather than party supporters. 30% of the
democrats who
are supporting one candiate over the other have said they will vote for McCaine
if their
candidate isnt' nominated --not because they think McCain is better than the
other
person, but simply out of spite.

AND... *I* fear that a huge number of black Americans will stay home this cycle
out of
bitterness if Obama isn't nominated.

Its a very nasty time for the Democratic party no matter who is nominated...

Lawson