What *are* they, exactly?

Let's face it...we all love them. The tales of power
we have heard in our lives are a major factor in what
finds us still on a spiritual path this late in the
incarnation. We're GAY for tales of power.

Were Carlos Castaneda's "Tales Of Power" really tales
of power? In my estimation, yes. Just as surely as the
stories told by a shaman at two in the morning to a
group of apprentices gathered around a campfire.

Are the stories of the Vedas or the Gita tales of power?
I think some of them are, and that they uplift tremend-
ously. I think that great poetry and great literature
can be tales of power. Heck, I think that broadcast
television can tell tales of power.

So I'm sittin' here in my beachside cafe watching the
Easter parade walk by, and I'm wondering what the thing
that turns an ordinary story into a tale of power IS.

It's not the subject matter. The tale of power doesn't
have to be set in the Sonoran desert or by the banks of
the Ganges; one of my favorite tales of power from FFL
was Edg's story about Joey.

So what made it one?

I think it's the issue of intent.

The lowest form of intent when telling a story is to
want to bring people down by telling it. The story is
what it is, but the person's *intent* in telling it
is to actively lower someone else's state of attention.
These types of stories are rarely regarded by history
as tales of power.  :-)

Another type of story that is ill-regarded by history
is the story told to keep things the same. This story
upholds or exalts the status quo, and the storyteller's
*intent* in telling it is to keep other people's states
of attention -- and their own -- safely the same. A
variant of this is to tell stories that prove one
"right" in an argument.

A loftier (IMO) intent is to tell a story with the
firm *intent* to uplift, to inspire, to help shift
the listeners' attention to a higher plane.

But I would suggest that there might be two levels of
this last category as well.

The first level of tales that uplift is tales told with
the intention to uplift, *but with an agenda*." The
stories are told to reinforce dogma, or to "prove" the
truth of a particular saying or teaching. Such stories
can either uplift the listeners or bring them down,
because the listeners can perceive the *intent* behind
them. So IMO they're "hit or miss" in terms of being
real tales of power.

But there is another level of tales that uplift. That's
when the shaman or storyteller knows a cool story, one
that captures the magic of a particularly shiny moment.
The moment could be from the storyteller's own life or
it could be from someone else's life; doesn't matter.
What matters in my opinion is the storyteller's decision
to leave agenda back in the hacienda, and bring to the
storytelling around the fire only the "Now" of the story
itself.

If the original moment had power, then a good retelling
of that moment of power will reveal it and make it acces-
sible to the listeners. They can *feel* the power of the
original moment themselves. They can slip into the states
of attention of the characters in the story. They are
*there* in that shiny moment; they're not listening to
someone just talk about it.

Call me an elitist, but I tend to prefer the latter type
of tales that uplift over the type of tales that uplift
that have a strong "moral" or "lesson" or "symbolism" in
them. IMO if the storyteller has to work that hard to
"add meaning" to the shiny moment he or she is talking
about, then maybe the power wasn't in the moment in the
first place. Or maybe the storyteller who feels that he
or she has to "enhance" the moment missed the power of
the original moment, and the Now in it.

Dunno. I just prefer the tales of power that have no
"moral" to the story, no "lesson" in them, no "preachy"
vibe in the telling of them. Just the facts man. The
ones that best allow a listener to *participate* in
the shiny moments being talked about or written about.