<richardhughes103@> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> > >
> > But it does still say it on there somewhere! I went there to
> > check I was right, it's part of their tagline, it's what they
> > always say, that's why me and Vaj posted it at the same time.
> > Jesus.

Note that professional apologists rarely apologize
to those they have called liars in their attempts
to defend the indefensible. Instead they often go
off on a tangent, as if to "prove" that the thing
they called the critic a liar for saying wasn't
really as damning as implied.

> It is a quoate from teh editor of the magaizine and creator of
> the award. Here is a more complete quote:
>
> http://www.cascadiacon.org/Marc.htm
>
> Marc Abrahams is known for a number of things (most of them not
> worthy of arrest…), but probably the two best-known things he
> has created are the Ig Nobel Prizes and his magazine, The Annals
> of Improbable Research. The Ig Nobel Prizes grow out of Marc’s
> belief that research ought to be recognized for being
> differentâ€"not just good. He says of the Ig Nobel Prizes,
>
> “Each year, ten Ig Nobel Prizes are awarded. The selection
> criterion is simple: the prizes are for ‘achievements that
> cannot or should not be reproduced.’ Examine that phrase
> carefullyâ€"it covers a lot of ground. It says nothing about
> whether a thing is good or bad, commendable or pernicious. I
> raise this matter of good or bad, because the world in
> general seems to enjoy classifying things as being either one
> or the other. The Ig Nobel Prizes aside, most prizes, in most
> places, for most purposes, are clearly designed to sanctify the
> goodness or badness of the recipients. Every year, of the ten
> new Ig Nobel Prizes, about half are awarded for things that
> most people would say are commendable, if perhaps goofy. The
> other half go for things that are, in some people's eyes, less
> commendable. All such judgments are entirely up to each observer.

Clearly, the professional apologist observer tends
to see things differently than the less critical
observer. :-)

I just think it's hilarious that I threw out the
term "professional apologist" yesterday to taunt
Judy into shooting the rest of her posting wad,
and the moment she did and could no longer compul-
sively defend anything about the Holy Research on
TM, Lawson jumped into the fray.

I *still* say that these folks have a career wait-
ing for them in politics. There, the proven tendency
to call critics liars just because they ARE critics
will be considered a plus.