--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for making this point Jeffry.  In dismissing FF you (& others
> do it too) assume that wealth is happiness.  Yet there are a lot of
> folks living very fine lives as 'transcendentalists' here living
> under the wealth standard you are applying.

An excellent point, and one that isn't emphasized
enough about places that one moves to for their
"vibe quotient" rather than their money-making
potential.

I have this thing about living in or near "power
places." I stupidly picked up and moved to Santa
Fe, New Mexico for that very reason, unaware of
the local one-liner, "What can you get for under
five dollars in Santa Fe? A job."  :-)

Some of the lowest wages in the nation, but the
"vibe quotient" balanced things out for me, and
I was able to find ways to make more money by
telecommuting and real commuting.

Since then I've lived in Paris (a disappointment,
vibe quotient-wise), and that was fairly expen-
sive, although only about half per month as I
had paid for my living expenses in, say, New York
or L.A. or Chicago. Then I moved to a remote
village in France where the cost of living was
about a tenth per month as those cities. Now I
live in a place where the cost of living is about
a third of those cities.

Are any of these places (excluding Paris) where
one would want to live if one's focus is making
money? Not on a bet! Another Santa Fe one-liner
is, "How do you make a million dollars in Santa
Fe? Arrive with two million."  :-)

But some places more than make up for their lack
of "money-making quotient" with their "vibe
quotient" and "quality of life quotient." From
what I've heard of Fairfield on this forum, it
is one of those places. Its quality of life does
not depend on the TMO (thank god); it stands on
its own. And from what I've heard, living in an
area where the monthly cost of living is low has
the benefit of adding to your "discretionary
income." If you have money "left over" every
month, you can save it up for a SV house, if you
want one, or for other things.

Through another forum I'm still in touch with a
few of the former Rama (Frederick Lenz) students.
A lot of them are still on the "how much money
you make is an indicator of your level of personal
power" trip that he used to espouse, and thus
they still live in New York and L.A. and Chicago
and the SF Bay area.

They make more money than I do, every last one
of them. But when this subject comes up, I ask
them what percentage of the money they make each
month they get to keep or use as discretionary
income. It's usually in the range of 5-10%. I may
live in a backwater beach town in Spain that isn't
where *anyone* who wanted to make a million bucks
would ever live, but I get to keep about 75% of
my monthly income.

Plus I get to live in a neat place that offers me
benefits I can't get in a big city. Like living in
a psychic atmosphere that isn't "polluted" with
the thoughts of millions of people who, sadly, are
not the happiest of campers. Like not having to
worry about random street crime. Ever. Like having
cheap medical care. So living in the boonies *works*
for me, and I can completely understand why living
in Fairfield *works* for many of the people here.

Do we all have little things that we *bitch* about
with regard to our chosen "high vibe quotient"
places to live? You betcha. But are any of those
things we bitch about enough to cause us to move?
Not hardly.