> Sorry I believe this is my last post tonight and awhile since I'm gone
> till monday. ...
>
> On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:33 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:

> >> Alpha coherence of any kind is functionally non-specific.
> >

> > Well, yes, of course. "Idling" has no function in and of itself, as
> > far as the car user is
> > concerned. BUt a poorly set idle is quite detrimental to all normal
> > uses of a given car.
>
> But also keep in mind, the idling idea is just a theory. Not to
> mention how you interpret what idling means in relation to meditation.

Well, alpha is generally associated with being restful but alert, or so
virtually all the
literature says. And, in respect to TM at least, there's a definite correlation
between long-
term practice, and higher alpha outside meditation.

> > And even the
> >> latest and greatest digital EEG machines are just 'microphones over
> >> NYC'.
> >
> > Well, not sure quite what you mean there. The research you like to
> > tout on Buddhist
> > Meditators and Gamma waves is even MORE vague than much of the TM
> > EEG research as it
> > involved taking the outputs from multiple leads and averaging them
> > and THEN running
> > mathematically analysis on groups of 6 of them.
>
> Well we're talking of something quite different in that example. That
> raises the question 'why is hi-amp gamma coherence even interesting at
> all' and the answer is the first generally accepted case of hi-amp
> gamma coherence was back in the 50's with traditional Hindu yogis
> doing introverted, eyes closed samadhi in the yoga tradition. It's
> kind of the benchmark for samadhi up until it recurred with the
> research you seem concerned about (Lutz, et al). The other important
> variable that was determined there was that in tradition Hindu
> introverted samadhi style meditation there was no alpha blocking.

As opposed to findings comparing Zen masters with neophytes. Lots of variation
in what
is considered important. Why should I consider gamma more important than alpha?
Alpha
occurs during relaxation. Gamma occurs during concentration. Both are
important,
depending on the activity. However, long-term TM seems to reset what is
required to be
be seen as active...

> The reason early and recent researchers weren't and aren't really
> excited about TM and other similar popularized techniques was because
> they just didn't see any duplication of those results (until the
> recent gamma hi-amp research)...in other words, there was nothing
> outside the normal circadian wake-sleep-dream cycles in the research
> that's been presented. So it just seemed rather ho-hum to workaday
> neuro-nerds.

Ah, yeah.

> In terms of analysis there are different forms, some of which are
> considered superior to raw or eyed data.

> >> It's really not about 'not liking', it's about what they, as
> >> professionals in the field of neuroscience and neurology, understand.
> >>

> > Right... As though all professionals in teh field of neuroscience
> > and neurology were in
> > 100% agreement on all details about what these measurements mean...
>
> No of course not, but there are certain "landmarks" in any field and
> the earlier 1950's gamma coherence findings in indian yogis was
> seminal. The early 'rosetta stone' of meditation research if you will.

> >> In this case, even with eventually quite large matrices, it will be a
> >> blunt instrument.
> >>

> > Made even blunter by the Gamma EEG research protocol you like to
> > cite, but that doesn't
> > stop you from citing it.
>
> Please see the above.

> >> The above quote was speaking from the POV of someone in ignorance
> >> experientially. Yes, eventually you have the non-conventional
> >> experience that it arises out of it. Then, mastery over the 3 other
> >> states is complete and permanent. Witnessing any of the other states
> >> is (allegedly) permanent and effortless.
> >>

> > But that says nothing about "willing" those states.
>
> Just a mere gear shift in attention. Swami Rama demonstrated it at the
> Menninger Inst. (and on stage according to L.B. Shriver). It's also
> been claimed on MMY by John Gray. Gray used to dictate to M. while he
> was sleeping. He'd even snore John said. When John first started doing
> dictations, he'd pause when he saw M. go to sleep. So he'd stop
> dictating, thinking M. was asleep. Then MMY woke up and gestured for
> him to continue! And so JG got in the habit of just continuing
> dictating when MMY fell asleep. He'd wake up later and just pick up
> where they left off as if nothing ever happened.

/shrug. I listen to myself snore all the time.

> > The question arises: who wills them? --
> > --but philosophy aside, a description of the state being the basis
> > for all the others says
> > nothing about voluntary control over the individual states.
>
> When you learn to, you can decide. Until then, I guess you'll have to
> wait. Get to it otherwise and stop whining about it.

Who's whining?

> >> What a smartass response.
> >>

> > Right, as though you don't indulge in such stuff, both towards
> > people you respond to and
> > towards people who you don't like, including the recently deceased.
> >
> >> You know, Ruth wrote me after she left and really was hurt by such
> >> tripe, that what made her, as a professional, leave. Try to be a bit
> >> more respectful and flexible. No one likes a schmuck.
> >>

> > Ruth showed she hadn't read materials she was claiming to have read
> > and rather than
> > admitting to it, she left in a huff. Your defense of her is amusing
> > but birds of a feather and
> > all that.
>
> Actually she read all of it and responded off list in detail to me.
> Unfortunately I had just returned myself from a scientific conference
> in CA, so I missed it for quite a bit. So I do apologize for not
> passing it on sooner. It was kinda dated by the time I'd returned and
> read it.

But she's so fragile she couldn't respond online? I wonder if she responded to
Judy offline,
or was it only to a person whom she felt was sympathetic to her original bias...

> > And your revelation that she left because of things I (and/or
> > others) said, goes against her
> > public claim that she was merely going on vacation. Thanks for
> > confirming what I had
> > already surmised: she couldn't' take the heat so she left,
> > regardless of what she claimed as
> > she left.
>
> Please see the above. She's an expert in research and the practical
> implications of this in real life; unless you have a really detailed
> knowledge of medicine, biochemistry, physics etc. and humans in
> practice, I suspect you might not realize how insightful such
> professionals are.

LOL. Such persons don't brag about who they are the way she did. Regardless of
her day
job, she's insecure about it.

> Anyhew, have a great weekend.

Thanks, you too.