On Apr 7, 2008, at 10:35 AM, sparaig wrote:

Well, I'd trust them to have something more cogent to say about TM alpha levels in recent TM studies and how TM alpha levels are measured in recent TM studies and what TM researchers say it all means in recent TM studies if they cited a TM study from later than
1986 concerning documented alpha levels in/after TM practice...

...or cited any other physiological research on TM after 1986, for that matter. The 2004 study they mention (and complain has no concrete physiological data) is a study consisting of psychological testing and interviews, itself a followup on a physiological study the Cambridge Handbook people never bother to cite for some reason (perhaps the fact that it wouldn't allow them to criticize the 2004 study for not being physiological).

Dunno. Probably because it wasn't published in a major journal would be my guess. They leave all junk journal science out.

"...we review only those EEG studies published in top-tier journals and/or those that focused on the study of longterm
practitioners."

Alpha's pretty well understood and unless they are doing something different, like doing LDS calculations, I'd doubt it raises any eyebrows--esp. if it's within the level of normal variation, which is of course no big deal.

I thought the recent BBC special on meditation was a good example of unbiased scientists who look at TM research, they tend to walk away not only unimpressed when they see the data behind the exaggerated claims but also there's the disappointment that they'd been mislead when the truth comes out. It also implies the only reason their research has gotten so much press in the first place wasn't on the research's merits, it's that they've been touting their own research by their PR department, Purusha, etc. Of course this appears to TM advocates that they're being dissed, when in fact the science was never what it was hyped to be in the first place and that's why the scientific community ignores it or is suspicious.