Thanks for clarifying, Turq.  Your emphasis is on the "working" part of
the deal, not the "everyone" part.  Got it.

Vanity Fair was not one of the 8 fashion magazines I looked at.  Since I
value your perspective, I browsed around online.  Please understand that
in order to make a real judgment I'd have to hold the mag in my hand.
There are some subtle things about magazine styling that I look for as
far as good mindfood, and it goes beyond individual articles or columns.
It has to do with the overall feel of "is this mag a tool of information
or of manipulation?"  The mag Forbes FYI, not a fashion mag at all, is
on my anti-mind list because the overall presentation is manipulative
and destructive to the reader (imo).

So, looking at Vanity Fair:  their "About Us" page says, "From world
affairs to entertainment, business to fashion, crime to society, Vanity
Fair is a cultural catalyst that drives the popular dialogue globally."
So fashion is at best 1/6 of their emphasis.  They consider themselves
to be a "cultural catalyst."  Their 2 topic tabs on the home page are
Culture; Politics & Power.

I compared this to what I call fashion magazines.  These are the first 3
I looked up.  None of these had an "About Us" page, so I used their
subscribe page instead.

Allure: "Allure is the beauty expert." ~ from the subscribe page.  Their
5 topic tabs are Beauty reporter; Trends; How-to's; Salon & spa
directory; Makeovers.

Vogue: Their web address is www.style.com <http://www.style.com> , which
says a lot about their emphasis.  Their first 5 topic tabs are Fashion
show; News & trends; People & parties; Shopping; Beauty.

Cosmopolitan: "Fun Fearless Female" is their subtitle on the subscribe
page. Their 7 topic tabs are Sex & love; Style & beauty; Hot guys;
Celebs & gossip; You, you, you; Fun & games; Cosmolicious.

>From this, I might classify Vanity Fair as a news magazine, the same
topical classification as People magazine or Time.  I still don't know
if I'd consider it healthy mindfood, but it's not a fashion magazine.