Nor has the Church mended its ways.  Religion is many
things--and never insignificant among them is its
perceived need to control of the masses--education is
a major tool for that, so what happens in universities
is something they are always very interested in.
Tenured profs keep their jobs  so they can recycle
their lecture notes till they die,  but their
reputations are always up for grabs.  Without that
reputation, they can't get the research grants or the
lecture circuits.