The Practical Philosophy School

The Practical Philosophy School is an elementary school housed in a sensational
granite mansion at 79th Street and Madison Avenue in New York City.  I was
surprised to see that Sanskrit is part of the required daily curriculum for all
of its students.  Apparently there have been about a half dozen of these
schools for 30 years between here and Europe, with a history that intersects
with Maharishi first leaving India in 1959.

HYPERLINK
"http://www.philosophyday.org/ac_cu_low_c-sanskrit.htm"http://www.philosophyday.org/ac_cu_low_c-sanskrit.htm

>From the brochure: Lower School
   K-4 Curriculum, Sanskrit

“The children are introduced to the study of a classical language, Sanskrit, in
Kindergarten. Sanskrit is one of the most ancient languages — if not the most
ancient — of the family of Indo-European languages, which includes classical
Greek and Latin as well as almost all modern European languages. It is an
astonishingly ordered and beautiful language, and its study is a brilliant
training for the mind, affording unmatchable insight into the very nature of
language itself. Its grammar is unrivalled in its comprehensiveness and
refinement. Its sounds are pure and have remained unchanged over the ages.

The structure of the Sanskrit alphabet, which children are introduced to in
Kindergarten, is scientifically ordered in its differentiation of mouth
positions. The sounds of the alphabet are comprehensive in their range, and
considerably broaden the linguistic skills of the children at an early stage.
Practice at the beginning is oral, with the Sanskrit script being introduced
normally in the first grade. Sanskrit grammar is introduced in the second
grade. In many cases, the study of Sanskrit refines the student’s speech and
helps in the understanding of the grammatical system of English.”

The sanskrit curriculum sounded interesting but some of the brochure wording
sounded ideologically driven.  For instance "Sanskrit - Its sounds are pure and
have remained unchanged over the ages".  What is "pure" as an adjective
describing sound, and who could possibly know if they have remained unchanged
and for how long.  "The structure of the Sanskrit alphabet, which children are
introduced to in Kindergarten, is scientifically ordered in its differentiation
of mouth positions."  Misuse of the word “scientific”.  Logical or orderly
things are not therefore scientific things.

It seemed like some group was behind the school but that they were not putting
that out front.  Finally I found a link to an organization ( HYPERLINK
"http://www.philosophyworks.org/content"http://www.philosophyworks.org/content
).  Even there the roots are not obvious because they give as their
inspirations the unidentifiable collection Plato and Aldous Huxley and Thoreau
and Shantananda Saraswati.  Shantananda Saraswati sounds like the probable
suspect, so I google search him and sure enough, he is the Shankaracharya of
Jyotir Math who succeeded Swami Bramhananda Saraswati (Guru Dev) amidst some
controversy involving Maharishi.  And the story below confirms one from Joyce
Collin-Smith’s autobiography in which Shankaracharya Shantananda later caused
many if not most of Maharishi's early (circa 1960) western London followers to
leave Maharishi, after one of them came to India and spoke to him.

This intersects the story that I just read a month ago in an
autobiography/spiritual memoir by Joyce Collin-Smith "Call No Man Master" that
Rick Archer had referred to on Fairfield Life.  She was a secretary to
Maharishi in 1960 when he lived in London for a year or two, before he had
become heavily involved with the US followers that are for most of us our
earliest known "roots" of the TM movement.  She describes the same story that
appears in the quote below.  When Gurdjieff dyed one of his organization’s
appointed successors was the gentleman Leon of the story below, who later came
across Maharishi and introduced TM to their group.  They organized Maharishi’s
SRM in London, but later left Maharishi for Shantananda.  The “transcendental
meditation” he refers to their using stems from those early years with
Maharishi and then Shantananda, but is from what I can make out only loosely
associated with the trademarked TM of Maharishi’s organizations, due to that
very early break from Maharishi and thereafter following Shantananda as they
describe.  Apparently the current Shankaracharya of Jyotir Math remains a major
influence with them to this day (albeit to my knowledge the argument over
legitimate successor to Guru Dev as Shankaracharya has yet to be settled,
leaving any claim to the title with an asterisk).

QUOTE FROM A GOOGLE SEARCH ON SHANTANANDA SARASWATI:

The School of Economic Science (SES SoES)

The School of Economic Science was established by Andrew Maclaren in 1938, to
promote economic justice through fair taxation and distribution of wealth.

By 1947 Andrew’s son Leon MacLaren had taken control of the organisation. A
follower of the teachings of the Central Asian mystic, Gurdjieff, he steered
the organisation towards philosophical study and practice. After meeting the
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1961, Leon introduced the practice of Transcendental
meditation, and following a meeting with the Shri Shantananda Saraswati, the
ancient Vedic philosophy of Avaita Vedanta became the core teaching of the SES.

The SES introduces its ‘philosophy’ to new members by running ‘practical
courses in Philosophy and Economics’open to the public. To continue beyond the
first year of courses, students are expected to put the SES philosophical
system into practice, attend an initiation ceremony into transcendental
meditation, and follow a code including dress and diet. ‘Students’ become full
members of the organisation by doing voluntary service, and attending
residential events where they are expected to participate in a practice called
“measure”. Studies at senior level are separated on gender lines.

Controversy

The growth of the School of Economic Science (SES / SoES) and its worldwide
family of Philosophy Schools has attracted considerable controversy over the
past 40 years or so.

A number of overseas Philosophy Schools have received critical media coverage,
and in 1983 the London Evening Standard Newspaper published a series of
articles claiming the School of Economic Science was a secretive religious
cult. The organisation was the subject of a critical exposé by two
investigative journalists published in 1985 in the book ‘the Secret Cult’,
which criticised the organisation’s views on the role of women in society, and
reported allegations of indoctrinating members, and being responsible for
marital and family breakdowns.

The School of Economic Science has also been criticised by church leaders, and
monitored by anti-cult groups in the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland and
Canada. The Belgian Branch was classified as a cult in a Belgian Government
report in 1997.

The Evening Standard articles publicised the fact that the SES was running a
number of schools for children, and reported claims from some parents that they
were unaware of the SES’ involvement.

ENDQUOTE

And here is a quote from someone currently associated with the NYC school.
Interesting as perhaps a model of how the TMO or MSAE may change over the
coming years; or not, only time will tell, and I express this here not as a
preference or an opinion, but only by way of observation.

QUOTE

The significance of Shantananda Saraswati for SES is far greater than that of
the Maharishi for the simple reason that discussions between MacLaren and SS
over 30 years formed the basis of the SES teaching since 1965, as discussions
between the current SES leader Donald Lambie and SS's successor continue to
inform what it does.

The SES declined to follow the Maharishi, although it makes use of the TM
method of meditation he came to the West to promote. There is no direct
connection with him so far as I know and I have never heard him referred to as
a figure of significance to the SES today or in the past.

In essence (I write as a current member who has been highly critical over the
years of the 'cult' and religious' aspects of the SES) if you read what
Shantananda Saraswati has to say you will find very little if anything that
connects with the negative aspects of the SES over the years. Two books of
conversations have been published - GOOD COMPANY and THE MAN WHO WANTED TO KNOW
GOD - by the Study Society, an organization similar to the SES. It's possible
to find innuendo in anything but I think a fair reading of either will give the
impression of a thoroughly wise and decent human being.

SS was one of the line of "Shankara-teachers" (ie Shankaracharyas) that are
directly descended (in tradition, not birth) from Shankara, the greatest figure
in Hindu philosophical tradition, thought to have lived in the 8th Century AD.
Shankara was the key figure in the Advaita Vedanta tradition, in other words,
"the non-dualistic view of the Upanishads". This rather technical translation
does justice to what is a thoroughly respectable philosophical tradition.
Advaita Vedanta is the most significant philosophy in the Indian tradition and
is the one that has had most impact on the West, with the possible exception of
Buddhism. However Buddhism is not really a single philosophy and is better
described as a religion or group of religions. The figure most people would
know is Mahatma Gandhi, whose philosophy comes from Advaita and Jain sources.
He's a good example of what Advaita can achieve if it is given the right
setting.

So why, if the SES is so strongly influenced by one of the world's oldest and
richest philosophical traditions, does it continue to attract criticism for
what are essentially religious or cultish traits? The answer to that - I give a
personal opinion here - is that the School is going through a process of
gradual change, in which - I hope - the religious element is dying out and the
philosophical coming to the fore. The point made by someone about the
difference between teaching people how to think rather than what to think is a
very good one. The former is what the SES ought to do and I think many of its
critics on this site would support that aim.

As a current member of the SES I would like to say that much that I hear about
how things used to be fills me with disgust, but that I do not recognize it in
today's School. I'm not saying that I disbelieve any of it, but just that if
those things were tried on now they would get short shrift. I am speaking here
about the London and English schools and don't have a lot of experience of
elsewhere. I have seen a lot of Donald Lambie who has now been in charge for 10
years and I can say that he is a very different character to his predecessor.
MacLaren was a wayward, wild, genius and one of a kind. Lambie is emerging as
almost his antithesis. If MacLaren wanted to tell people what to do, Lambie
wants them to learn to do things for themselves. He has the greatest respect
for the traditions of the School, but one feels that the future will be very
different too.

So Shantananda Saraswati is maybe more alive today in the SES than when he died.

Checked by AVG.
AM