--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "boo_lives" <boo_lives@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I am no expert on whores, whether from Babylon or anywhere else,
but I
> > > think Hagee is probably correct in his assertion that every measure
> > > that Hitler took against the Jews, with the exception of
> > > extermination, had already been done at various points in history by
> > > the Roman Catholic church.
> > >
> > Of course saying the catholic church has committed atocities in the
> > past is not that controversial, the church admits to some, but hagee's
> > main pt is that the end times are near and the contemporary catholic
> > church and all its members are on the evil side.  Mccain is not
> > required by the media to distance himself from this view and respond
> > to why he actively sought out his support -- that's the pt,the way the
> > media responds differently to politicians who associate with odious
> > white evangelists compared to black liberation theologists.
> >

> Agreed, there is a double standard, but slamming the Catholic Church
> is not as controversial (or, to many, as offensive) as attacking the
> very foundations of American society, which is what Wright does. The
> loony white preachers attack moral values they don't like, such as
> toleration of gays, but they don't attack the core institutions of
> society. On the contrary, they uphold them, which is why conservatives
> like them. Wright attacks the image that majority America has of
> itself, and nothing is more likely to press people's buttons than
> telling them that they are not what they think they are.

I am not sure which foundations of US society he has attacked.  The
wright sermons I heard actually were focused on attacking past US
support of aparteid in south africa and brutal dictatorships in
various countries.  I know he's said some strange things about AIDs
and I would not be surprised to disagree with him on other issues, but
I haven't yet actually heard him attack any foundations of US society,
just some really bad foreign policies.  Slavery was once a foundation
of US society and you seem to imply it was wrong of those pesky
northerners to bring it up because it pressed buttons in the south.

Criticizing the US gov't is job #1 for conservatives and white
evangelists routinely pray for the murder of "activist" judges, the
bombing of the UN, and various other aspects of our gov't that they
don't agree with.

I think wright acted like an ass the past few weeks.  But I have some
friends in the liberation theology mov't (the white people kind) and
they are among the most genuinely spiritual people I know.  They just
don't put up with hypocrisy.