--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, sgrayatlarge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Human sacrifice in Hinduism
>
> from Wiki:

**********

There are no human-sacrifice rituals authorized by the Vedas -- those
who think so are merely expressing the inability of their low
consciousness to think in terms other than what would satisfy their
blood lust. In fact, even animal sacrifice is not authorized:

"Brahmana who have access to knowledge of the veda which is the key
to self-knowledge, misread and misinterpret the vaidika injunctions
and indulge in drinking wine, animal sacrifice and sexual pleasure.
The veda permitted these as a concession to the ignorant who have no
self-control, and even then wine was only to be smelt, the animals
should only adorn the ritual site, and sexual enjoyment be indulged
in for the sake of progeny only. They who are ignorant of this,
haughtily considering themselves wise, kill animals which in turn
kill them when they depart from the world."

from Book Eleven, Ch. 5 of the Concise Srimad Bhagavatam
http://tinyurl.com/ywykn6

As far as Hindus go, of course they are capable of slaughter -- as
many as a million people were killed when during Partition in 1947:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/aug/05/india.theobserver

The whole purpose of the TM movement is to raise the level of
awareness to a point where people, regardless of their nominal
relationship with a religion, do not find it necessary, because of
their anxiety and frustration, to kill their neighbors.

> -Human sacrifices were carried out in connection with the worship
of
> Shakti till approximately the early modern period, and in Bengal
> perhaps as late as the early nineteenth century[28]. Certain
tantric
> cults performed human sacrifice till around the same time, both
> actual and "symbolic"; it was a "highly ritualised" act, and on
> occasion took many months to complete[28].
>
> The question of whether human sacrifice is permitted in the Vedas
> and, if so, was actually practiced is a matter of dispute by
> scholars. The prevailing nineteenth century view, associated above
> all with Henry Colebrooke, was that human sacrifice had little
> scriptural warrant, and did not actually take place. Those verses
> which referred to purusamedha were meant to be read symbolically
[29]
> or as a 'priestly fantasy'. However, barely a generation later
> Albrecht Weber collected textplaces referring to human sacrifice
with
> greater specificity; and Rajendralal Mitra published a defence of
the
> thesis that human sacrifice, as had been practiced in Bengal, was a
> continuation of traditions dating back to Vedic periods[30].
Hermann
> Oldenberg held to Colebrooke's view; but Jan Gonda underlined its
> disputed status.
>
> It was agreed even by Colebrooke, however, that by the Puranic
> period - at least at the time of the writing of the Kalika Purana,
> human sacrifice was accepted[29]. These two periods, however were
> separated by a period of increasing "embarrassment" in the use of
> violence in worship, contemporaneous with the Upanishads.
>
> In the post-Puranic medieval period, however, it became
increasingly
> common. In the seventh century, Banabhatta, in a description of the
> dedication of a temple of Chandika, describes a series of human
> sacrifices; similarly, in the ninth century, Haribhadra describes
the
> sacrifices to Chandika in Orissa[31]. It was "more common" in the
> Southern parts of India, where it took on a scapegoating rather
than
> purifying role[31].
>
> The Khonds, an aboriginal tribe of India, inhabiting the tributary
> states of Orissa and Andhra Pradesh, became notorious, on the
British