Curtis wrote:
> It doesn't connect to any modern understanding
> of how the nervous system works. It melts
> together an ancient esoteric tradition with
> sciency sounding terms for marketing purposes.

Isn't this just amazing - Ruth and Curtis don't
see the connections, but I connect the dots every
time I think about this.

This is what is so infuriating about some deniers
 - almost every pronouncement they make is
strictly anecdotal, or worse, totally made up on
the spot. It makes me very suspicious that they
have some kind of axe to grind.

It's like, instead of forward thinking, logical
analysis, it's almost reactionary!

Why is that?

> I never saw a sincere desire in Maharishi to
> actually test any of this theories in a
> falsifiable form.

Maybe so, but every theory doesn't have to be a
double-blind scientific study. In fact, the vast
majority of studies in the field of psychotherapy
are not double-blind studies.

> He said it, we believed it, and that was good
> enough for a pretty long while.

You're not the only on who believed it. From what
I've read, the Marshy was pretty much spot on in
his general analysis!

"As a method of stress reduction, meditation is
often used in hospitals in cases of chronic or
terminal illness to reduce complications
associated with increased stress including a
depressed immune system.

There is growing agreement in the medical
community that mental factors such as stress
significantly contribute to a lack of physical
health, and there is a growing movement in
mainstream science to fund research in this
area.

Dr. Herbert Benson of the Mind-Body Medical
Institute, which is affiliated with Harvard and
several Boston hospitals, reports that
meditation induces a host of biochemical and
physical changes in the body collectively
referred to as the 'relaxation response.'

The relaxation response includes changes in
metabolism, heart rate, respiration, blood
pressure and brain chemistry. Benson and his
team have also done clinical studies at Buddhist
monasteries in the Himalayan Mountains."

Source:

Meditation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation

Other references:

Reference:

'The Mystery of Consciousness'
By Steven Pinker
Time Magazine, Friday, Jan. 19, 2007
http://tinyurl.com/3ck5qe

'The Science of Meditation'
Time Magazine Cover Story, August 4, 2003
http://tinyurl.com/63xac5

'Just say Om'
by Joel Stein
Time Magazine, Sunday, Jul. 27, 2003
http://tinyurl.com/icu6

Links:

The Mind Science Foundation
17 West El Prado Drive
San Antonio, Texas
http://www.mindscience.org/index.cfm

Titles of interest:

'Meditation and Psychotherapy'
A rationale for the integration of dynamic
psychotherapy, the relaxation response, and
mindfulness meditation.
By H. Benson, I. Kutz and J. Borysenko
American Journal of Psychiatry, 1985
PubMed abstract PMID 3881049