--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Despite what you may have heard, there is nothing slow or
> > delayed about Hillary Clinton's decision to wait until
> > Saturday to formally concede the Democratic nomination--
> > at least as a historical matter. It has been a while
> > since a Democratic nomination fight came down to the wire
> > as this one has, but consider:
> >
> > * In 1984, when Walter Mondale prevailed over Gary Hart
> > in the final primaries on June 6, Hart waited until June
> > 25 to drop his plans to challenge Mondale's delegates,
> > and until June 27 to appear with Mondale in a unity
> > photo-op.
> >
> > * In 1980, when Jimmy Carter sewed up enough delegates
> > for the nomination on June 3, Ted Kennedy didn't concede
> > until the convention, and some supporters, such as West
> > Virginia's Robert Byrd, took umbrage at calls for him to
> > do so sooner ("People shouldn't jump to conclusions the
> > next day or week after the primaries are over," said Byrd).
>
> And, as we all know, Mondale in 84 and Carter in 80 both lost.

And by Jove, the *only* reason they lost was that
their opponent didn't concede immediately.

<snicker>

> Yep, Hillary will do all she can for the party. She needs it
> for her 2012 run.

Aside from her unquestionably deep commitment to getting
Democrats elected, especially to the White House (which
is why she's stayed in the race as long as she could), she
needs it in order to get anything done in the Senate, and
to be reelected next term.