> If he really wasn't motivated by empathy, he could
> have quit 20 years ago and retired in splendor.

Remember that empathy means being able to experience the emotions or
viewpoint of another.  To feel pain when another feels pain.  I don't
see that in him.

Empathy doesn't fit well with an end justifies the means outlook.

I think we have talked about this before.  I doubt that money was a
big motivator for him or living a life of splendor.  But belief in
grandiose ideas and convincing the world of those ideas likely was his
motivator. As to whether those ideas were right or wrong is not the
issue.