> It seems to me that other aspects of MMY's teaching
> imply that for a siddhi to occur, Nature has to "want"
> it to occur. Or to put it another way, what the person
> in higher consciousness wants can only be what Nature
> "wants."

This point (which I also appeal to concerning the lack of my 6-pack
abs) is not one that I ever heard Maharishi himself make.  Whenever he
talked about performance of the sidhis it was always in terms of them
being as natural as any other ability we have and that they would be
commonplace and volitional, no big deal that "nature" would need to
hide.  It seems to give a sort of "out", but then it makes all of
Maharishi's claims about the virtues of enlightenment come into
question.  Like our discussions about whether or not an enlightened
person can be an asshole or even homicidal killer if "nature wants it
that way" as is often glorified in the Vedic literature. (Bhima made
Ted Bundy look like a choir boy)

I guess this reasoning might provide some solace to the TBs (I am not
talking about Judy here especially after her excellent point about the
 Constitution in another post) but it is lame in the light of the many
"Yogic flying" demonstrations and promotion of the "special abilities"
gained by the sidhis at this point.

I mean forget the flashy stuff, how about seeing that the movement is
permeated with an extra dose of the virtue sidhis?  Other than the
superficial love bombing that goes on in many groups with visitors
they what to impress with how great their group is, under the surface
is at best an average group of people concerning their friendliness,
compassion or even happiness. And if anyone can even get close to the
strength of an elephant, could you send them over to my house to help
me move a closet full of book boxes with their mighty trunk?

My point is that Maharishi didn't think out the sidhis demonstration
claims as carefully as you have Judy.  He was selling the dream
without qualification.  I know that people don't do sidhis to become
stronger, they do them for the mental enhancement, but
reeeeaaaaallllllly now, shouldn't there be even a hint that some of
them are working a tad after 30 years?  I don't mean one or two rumors
but a bunch of interesting shit going on?

Maharishi was wrong about the sidhis working and now the movement
focuses on the stuff that can't really be objectively evaluated like
the ME or that it makes people feel "better."   It may have never been
emphasized for people in the "field"  but Maharishis promised his
slave laborers at sidhaland mastery of the sidhis in 3 years.  It was
not a claim about how we would feel inside or the world peace it would
achieve, it was about mastery of sidhis.  And all these years later we
are left with people's wonderful coincidence stories as if no one else
didn't have a thought of Aunt Martha who we haven't spoken to in years
right before the phone rang with her on the line.

Now I have grown up beyond a desire to fly through the air or do
magical things. Life is far too rich without these things.  Playing
"Freight Train" straight through without any mistakes is the kind of
"special ability" I seek, and it gives me all the joy I need in my life.

But concerning the so called sidhis (trade mark registered
internationally and subject to litigation for any infringement real or
perceived by any of the conglomerated companies and or representatives
of Maharishi Multi Mega Corp):

I'm calling this one guys.  Sidhis are not happening.  Not behind
closed doors of King Nader's palace, not in the mildew infested golden
breasts of MIU (what, it's only me who sees them that way?)

Not anywhere but in the imagination of people who spend a lot of time
in a floaty meditative state of mind that makes such dreams seem more
likely.

Of course if that is what makes them happy, it isn't any of my
business...I've got a bunch of boxes to move (It may get me closer to
that 6-pack) and a few more hundred reps on "Freight Train."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i4upnkwLOzY