> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes103@>
wrote:

> > I'd love to see Tony Nader fly, it would make my day! I can't
> > think of a reason why someone wouldn't want to demonstrate
> > sidhi powers. The old "I don't want to be remembered as a
> > circus act" excuse doesn't wash, if you want people to
> > believe you know what you're talking about I can think of
> > no better way.
>
> I can -- knowing what you're talking about.  :-)

Fair enough, but I'm thinking more along the lines
of the TMO claiming that the sidhis they teach are
the real deal yet I haven't seen any evidence. If
they produce a genuine flyer we wouldn't be able
to critisize that the TMSP is all wishful thinking
and that MMY knew what he was talking about at least
as far as the sidhis are concerned. Actual enlightenment
is another story and harder to measure than any sidhi.

> Seriously, that is the component that was missing
> in many of Maharishi's pronouncements. He clearly
> had no grasp of the *issues*, much less his
> proposed "solutions" to them.
>
> Ok, I *know* that most folks here don't believe
> that I witnessed siddhis being performed. But I did,
> *whatever* caused me to witness them. So did liter-
> ally hundreds of other people who attended Rama's
> talks. So did having witnessed these things convince
> everyone that he knew what he was talking about?

> No, it didn't. I have seen someone I brought to a
> talk (a TMer) exclaim during the meditation "He's
> levitating!" or "Shit...he just disappeared," and
> then, the next day, claim that she had seen and
> experienced nothing whatsoever out of the ordinary.
> In a matter of hours she had managed to "blot out"
> any memories of what she had seen and experienced
> and *admitted* seeing and experiencing the night
> before.

I wonder why? A feeling they were duped in some way?
Cognitive dissonance due to jealousy that a non-TMer
was doing something amazing? I know plenty who think
that they are party to the ultimate knowledge and
everyone else has only partial understanding at best.

I'd be a bit different regarding this example, but
I'd have to be very sure that I was witnessing an
actual event. I said the other day that I'd seen people
in flying rooms do stuff that appeared to be some sort
of hang time but it's more likely the way they were
moving when airborne giving the impression of being in
the air just a *bit* too long as it was still just a
parabolic curve they were on. Or am I just rationalising
a genuine example of levitation to fit it into my
unconscious idea of how reality should be? Hey, maybe it
was Nablus I saw :-)

> The SAME thing would happen with a large percentage
> of people if someone in the TMO *could* fly, and
> demonstrated it. Only a small percentage of those
> witnessing the phenomenon would 1) believe that they
> had actually seen it, or 2) ascribe "knowing what
> he's talking about-ness" to the person who flew.

> It's just human nature, Richard. Over the years I
> have heard many, many people here say, "All the TMO
> would have to do is demonstrate levitation and all
> of the doubts would stop." It's simply not true.
> It's something that people who have never witnessed
> such phenomena themselves believe.
>
> Those who have know better. In a remarkably short
> time, these phenomena become "background," and
> assumed, and kinda ho-hum. I found myself sitting
> in lecture halls or out in the desert thinking,
> "Oh...he's levitating again...big deal."

I'm trying to decide how much a big deal levitation
is than finding four-leaved clovers with the mind,
they both involve some sort of extra addition to what
we need to explain the general human experience.

It's just that levitation requires rewriting the rule-
book to such a larger extent that very little would
remain and while people may get used to it as "background"
I think a good few scentists would be more than a
little interested, which is why I think a demonstration
would be the best thing for the TMO as it demonstrates
not just levitation but a mastery of currently understood
physics. And unlike finding clovers it can't really
be explained as simply luck by any sceptics.

> Besides, as far as I can tell, there is NO
> RELATIONSHIP between being able to perform
> siddhis and one's state of consciousness, or one
> "knowing what he's talking about." Apples and
> oranges. The non-enlightened can perform siddhis,
> and many of the enlightened cannot.

> Again, it is the *rarity* of these phenomena
> (together with self-serving dogma from spiritual
> traditions) that claims that there is a link
> between siddhis and enlightenment. I perceive
> no such link. Back in the early days of his
> teaching, neither did Maharishi. He gave several
> talks at Squaw Valley in which he said that being
> able to perform siddhis had NO relationship to
> one's state of consciousness. Later he changed
> his tune, "coincidentally" after he had found
> a way to make money by claiming to teach people
> siddhis.
>
> Bottom line is that my experience tells me that
> demonstrations of people flying -- REAL, unfaked
> demos of people flying -- would convince only a
> small percentage of people that the phenomenon
> was actually taking place. The others would find
> a way to make it "go away," and to pretend that
> they had never seen what they saw. I've seen it
> happen over and over and over and over.

I'll be happy to join you in saying that but only
*after* I've seen it for myself. I think there
is desperation among TBs I know that people will
one day be flying, any rumour gets passed around
with a knowing smile that we're on the right track.