amarnath wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> amarnath wrote:
>>
>>> 1) among the large variety of GREENS all six tastes are easily found
>>>

>> So which ones are pungent, sour, sweet and salty?  Most are bitter.
>>

> If you start eating GREENS( not only the leafy greens but brocolli,
> peas, green peppers, etc ) without any dressing( which disguises the
> taste ), you will notice that while there may be a predominant taste,
> there also are other secondary tastes which are easliy missed if one
> always uses "salad dressing."  Do not know how Ayurveda would classify
> these, but from my own taste experiences and the web here is a simple
> starter:

And some people won't like that flavor which is often the body telling
them it is not for them to eat, plain and simple.  It will through them
off balance.

> SOUR ~ sorrel and gongura ~
>              come with many different sizes and shapes of leaf..
>                but the key is the sour, lemony taste in the leaves.

Perhaps good in small amounts for vata types but you have to look at the
after effect whether it is good for vata or not.  If it still dehydrates
them then it is not so good.
>               http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrel_soup
>               my mother used to make this; this is what started me
> thinking
>               along these lines that not all GREENS are bitter
>               and at one time we had a sorrel bush in our back yard
>
> SALTY ~ The ribs of celery are crunchy. It has a salty taste.
>                 This is something I noticed a long time ago.
>                 from
> www.juicing-for-health.com/health-benefits-of-celery.html
>                           there may be other GREENS which contain the
> salty taste
>                 to some degree

Must be organic as celery is highly sprayed as if you ever tried raising
it the bugs go right for it.  They love that salty taste.  And yes it is
recommended for vata types again in small amounts.
> SWEET ~ cabbage, stalks of romain lettuce, sweet green peppers,
>                   stevia, various green herbs/teas, sweet peas,
>                    maybe baby romain and baby spinach, etc

Peas are okay for vata types.
> PUNGENT ~ Arugula, Mustard Greens, Radish Greens, green jalapeno
> peppers, etc

Only in small amounts for vata and pitta types.
> BITTER ~ Chicory, Dandelion Greens, Kale, spinach, romaine lettuce
> leaves, endive, chard, and many other greens;  this does seem to be the
> predominat taste of most greens but NOT the only one and NOT ALL greens
>
> ASTRINGENT ~ parsley, spinach, cabbage, etc
>
> Some of the above was from http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/leafy.html :
>
>   I am not against any approach that works for you. For me, I did
> macrobiotic for about three years and "tried" ayurvedic for several
> years as well as various "superfoods" supplements, etc. The
> experimentation was a learning experience for me.  But of the 38 years
> that I have been a vegetarian, mostly vegan because of milk allergy, the
> last 8.5 years I have thoroughly enjoyed Dr Fuhrman's Eat To Live
> approach which emphasizes GREENS a lot.

When it comes to nutrition it is "different strokes for different
folks."  We all have different genetic make ups.  There are some people
who without ever working out with weights will be naturally "buff."
These are the sympathetic types and greens will  work better for them.
The majority however is not like that.
> I am not saying GREENS alone are a panacea for everything. Just that the
> healing potential of GREENS are way underutilized in our daily diet. And
> of course they should be used in conjunction with all other veggies and
> fruits and some seeds, nuts, legumes, grains.

Probably because they didn't grow well in certain climates though I
harvested broccoli as it was popping up through the snow one winter.
> A little time I spent in India showed me clearly that there were many,
> many, many approaches to Ayurveda and at least one of them includes a
> very important emphasis on GREENS. One such example of many approaches
> in the west, is Dr Gabriel Cousens, MD who applied the Ayurvedic
> principles to the All Raw VEGAN diet that he has been on for decades.
> And in organic farming, Amma emphasized that for fertilizer, cow dung
> should be thoroughly mixed with green vegetation.

I like Cousen's book "Conscious Eating" since it includes the other
approaches such as metabolic typing as well.  However I don't agree with
his "faith based nutrition."   A vegan diet may work well for him (let's
have a competition to see how well he can perform against non-vegans)
but not for everyone unless you want a planet of wusses.  :D
> As far as weight is concerned, INPUT CALORIES is the major factor,
> although I recognize that there are other factors. So, a big help with
> the calories, is to understand the health equation:
>
> nutritional healing potential = nutrients / calories

Again some folks will gain weight on a 1200 calorie a day diet there
metabolism is so slow.  Some people when they cut down on calories the
body goes right along and slows down.