(snip)
> > It doesn't really explain how mantras came to be
> > so powerful, if indeed they are actually different
> > from any other randomly chosen sound.
(snip)
> > technique is? Difficult to know but even the
> > geographic whereabouts of early spiritual (cultures
> > would be interesting.
 (snip)
According to Maharishi's teaching, the mantras came from the earliest
time on earth, from Seers of the Vedas.
The name/form concept is very important to understand in terms of the
Vedas.
In those early days, according to Maharishi, the atmosphere was pure
enough, and the Sages attuned enough, that cognition of the sound or
vibration was exactly equal to it's counterpart, whether physical or
non-physical...
So, it appears that Maharishi used the most universal mantras,
because he believed in 'safety first'...
The mantras used relate to the Goddess Saraswati, Godhead Rama,
Vishnu manifestation Krishna, and perhaps a few others, which I don't
know about.
These mantras are called 'bija' mantras or 'seed' mantras...
As they are the simplest sound/vibration of that aspect of nature.
Maharishi seemed to relate all of these deities to aspects of
The Laws of Nature...
And, therefore, when one became attuned or vibrated with these
aspects of nature, then one would become 'attuned to all the laws of
nature' and 'sponaneous support of those laws of nature would arise
to fulfill your every desire.

Now, all of this information, and cogniton of the Vedas, according to
Maharishi, happened long ago, and far away, on the 'time-line
horizon'.

So, much of the attempt of Maharishi, was to purify the earth enough,
or at least a portion of it, so that one could transcend the chaos of
the present day, and it's lack of attunement to nature, and to give
people the experience of those early days of pure earth, pure
intention, beautiful time, on earth.

So, when he referred to a time on earth, where we could live heaven
on earth.
He was also referring to a past time, from where these teachings come.

As far as finding a more 'powerful mantra' somewhere;
Where would you look?
The bija mantras that Maharishi chose, makes sense to me.
They are the most universal;
But more importantly...
The use of the mantra, the effortless technique is the main
difference between Maharishi's teaching, and the main thrust of the
power of the teaching.
The downfall of the movement, in retro-spect came when it strayed
from effortlessness, naturalness and became contrived.
When the movement became more concerned with power, than with peace.

Politically that is the period we are coming through now.
You can associate the change in the TM movement with the political
change to Reagan in the 80's...
This is when the movement and America lost it's 'innocence' and
became possessed with other things.
Corporatization of America, strange video games, and a sort of anti-
counter culture movement, which gave rise to all kinds of extremes,
in the TM movement, as well as a brittleness to American culture,
which continues today.
An inflexibility, stubborness and arrogance.
Anyway, a few thoughts I was pondering today...
R.G.