--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Stu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Its neither a fluke  or does it have cosmic significance.  Somehow these
> ancient mystics worked out a technique for altering consciousness that
> has benefits.  Because of their ignorance of basic anatomy, psychology
> and such they went to big mythic explanations.  Its to be expected -
> without the benfit of material knowledge we enjoy since the
> enlightenment these primitives had little or no understanding of
> medicine, nutrition, mathematics, physics, geography, or cosmology.
> Instead they look to the supernatural for explanations.

I am heartened that, from what I have heard, that the D.Lama retires
"dogma" in Tibetian B. scriptures that are found contrary to science.
To me that signifies a view that past, pre-scientific ages found
wonderful things, but also a lot of or at least some fluff. Those that
are supported by science, or at least not contradicted, are kept. The
others stuff is placed in the myth or extinct bin.

To me, thats a good recognition of past and present insights. And how
religions/ spiritual vies and practices evolve -- and hone in on truer
values. And not "this stuff form my traditions IS a priori true -- and
science must conform, or be bent, to confirm it. And it recognizes the
value of past traditions as finding good stuff -- and points towards
fruitful research hypotheses.

I am hopeful, and see glimpses, from the next wave of spiritual
leaders who grew up in a scientific age, are better educated, some
with strong  scientific experience and credentials.  MMY's generation
was more on the cusp, some modern education and scientific
perspective. SBS was more pure tradition. Each new generation of
spiritual leaders, an adherents, if they follow the D. Lamas lead,
will unfold  some wonderful spiritual (and scientific) knowledge.