<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Yoga "science" or Yoga-vidya would therefore be an unconventional
> > science in that it does not rely on objects, but rather unification.
> > It's source of knowledge is jnana rather that mind-think.--- In
> FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@> wrote:
>
> What I don't understand is why people who are into spirituality try to
> invoke the name "science" at all.  I get why Maharishi did it, to
> sound as if he was offering something more substantial than the
> religious ideas of his tradition.  But the scientific method,
> wonderfully useful as it is in certain contexts, is not the only gold
> standard of knowledge. We have the whole area of the humanities and
> the arts, and this may be a more appropriate connection to make for
> spiritual practices.
>
> I don't try to sell the art that consumes my life as "blues science."
>  It doesn't need to be blessed by that approach to knowledge.  That
> means that if someone says they think my music sucks, I can't get on a
> high horse and proclaim that my music is verified by the true blues
> science of cognizing the soul of Robert Johnson and that they are
> "wrong."  I just have to accept that in the arts we all have our
> preferences and I just need to find the people who share mine.
>
> I think the terms of science are being misapplied to spiritual
> practices to invoke more credibility or that the position is more than
> a personal opinion or insight.  But personal opinions and insights are
> fine on their own without trying to make them more than they are with
> claims of "science."
>
> Maharishis had it only half right IMO.  There is no "science of
> being", but there is an "art of living."  And expressing the art of
> living doesn't need to position itself with the connection with the 3
> out of 4 dentists surveyed mentality. Leave that approach to knowledge
> alone so it can stay busy trying to figure out why cancer cells
> metastasize and just enjoy the fact that when we close our eyes we
> feel something we personally value.

Baby. If meditation causes changes in physiology, behavior, or
possibly social structures,  then thats a legitimate, even fascinating
realm for science to explore.

Bathwater. Using scientific analogies and slight of hand to "prove"
and market stuff  to the gullible and uneducated.

(Or as Steve Martin was taught in "The Jerk" "This is Shit". "This is
Shinola" (know the difference and the world is yours.)