<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
<snip>
> > No, I'm not claiming that at all.  All I'm claiming is that
> different mantras have different effects and it is due to the
> resonance of the sound which also works at the mental level.
> That is not dogma as it can be observed at the audible level.
>
> They are different in what parts of the body are involved.  A
> thought is not a sound vibration of air molecules hitting the
> ear drum.  It may be an electrical or chemical event in the
> brain, but it is not the same thing as an external sound
> vibration.

There may not be as much difference as you think.
Unless we set up specialized instruments to measure
the sound, the only way we know there's an "external
sound vibration" is by the electrical/chemical event
it produces in the brain when it hits the eardrum.

It would be interesting to do a study to see whether
thinking the mantra activates the hearing area of the
brain. There have been studies (not related to
meditation) showing that when we imagine a sound or
sight, maybe touch/smell/taste as well, the same areas
of the brain light up under MRI as when we actually
hear or see etc. something external.

And even when we set up instruments to measure sound
vibrations, the measurements by themselves tell us
nothing about whether the sound is pleasant or
unpleasant, consonant or dissonant, major or minor.
Those qualities are the province of the brain, not
the measuring instruments.

Speaking of a fingernail on a blackboard, for many
people just *mentioning* it is enough to make them
wince, because the words evoke the memory of what it
sounds like. That's why the analogy is so effective
in the TM intro lecture. People "hear" the sound in
their mind's ear the same way they "hear" the mantra.
You sure wouldn't want to use the fingernail sound
as if it were a mantra.