<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[inversely quoting you]]
>I think the phrase scientific method is more useful than the
> word alone because that includes its virtues and limits.

Yes. That is the broader point I have been goofing around. That
scientific method, or elements of it, can be used in many aspects of
life. Its not SCIENCE per se, but can build a strong foundation for a
the more traditional sciences. And a much keener interest in such.

And if science was taught like that in grade and jr hi school, at
least started out like that, it would get kid's attention much more.
At least i would have lit up. (And maybe some teachers do go down that
road.)

I am suggesting teaching the basic traits of scientific method to
basic problem solving in real life things. Testing various techniques
to hit a baseball further, get more spin on your forehand, running
further and faster with various training and diet regimes, learning
more stuff faster and more comprehensively, getting more and better
dates, being  telling funnier jokes, knowing better when somone is
full of BS, etc are all things for which elements of scientific
methods can be successfully applied: defining the problem, genrating
plausible hypotheses, systematically testing each, using methods to
know when something is (usually) working and not just a random fluke,
etc.

I lost a lot of interest in science, unfortunately, in formative
years, when 7th grade biology was all about memorizing a bunch of
phylums and sub phylums for things I had little affinity for or
knowledge of. It was so dry and unactionable. I have yet to
sucessfully apply my 7th grade knowledge of phylums in real life.

On the other hand, I had a 6th grade teacher (when I was in 5th grade,
I got to sneak into his class, that blew our minds with talking about
Gauss, Pythagoras and Einstein and the problems they were trying to
solve. And building tetrahydrons without any direction (here is what I
want to you build -- you find the materials and figure aout a way to
do it. Pure magic to a 11 year old when you create this beautiful 3-d
object from scratch an ingenuity).  I couldn't get enough of it.

That was a great inspiration part of getting hooked on scientific
methods. Mr Costelli lit the match that ignited my imagination and
motivation for math and science. It just wasn't followed up by others
teachers later on teaching the TOOLS of science to solve real
problems. My problems. Or neat problems that had not occurred to me.
After memorizing phyllums -- I was so zzzzzed out with science, I
disdained it for years. Much to my diminishment.

(Thats why Wiki, and the emerging Wiki University is such a huge step
in human progress, IMO. With the $100 internet able PC, and every
student, world-wide having one, bad and mediocre and uninspiring
teachers can be bypassed and the natural inquisitiveness of kids can
find an infinite source to drink upon. Hqave you ever met a 3-4 year
old for whmo 50% of their word cound is not , "why?" (more like
why?????!??!!!)

>  Not all subjects are suitable for the scientific
> method.

Screeeechchtzzzzz! Say what? I agree with your distinction above --
and that, my example, the Science of Getting Laid" is not a hard
Science (12 year old chuckle) but it is a hugely ripe area for
applying the scientific method -- and would turn millions of kids onto
scientific method -- and some onto hard science. What subject is not
applicable to at least some elements of scientific method -- in their
most basic forms?

I am not saying its all science. There is "art". But I just don't see
a huge chasm between the two.