> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes103@> wrote:
> >
> > So what? I call it like I see it. Put it all back in
> > it's proper context and consider the fact I've been
> > interested in crop circles for more than twenty years
> > and perhaps you'll agree I've earned the right to have
> > strong opinions about it.
>
> I've never been interested in them and still
> am not, but equally feel the right to have
> strong opinions about the subject. Not so much
> about the circles themselves (who the fuck
> cares), but about the people who obsess about
> them. The former may or may not be mysterious,
> but the latter (the fanatics) are not. They
> are the same as any brand of fanatic anywhere,
> and thus one is able (and, some would say,
> almost duty-bound) to laugh at them.
>
> There is little on this planet as laughable
> as someone touting Woo Woo while claiming to
> be rational. And taking themselves seriously
> and demanding that others take them seriously
> while acting in such a fashion that one cannot
> *possibly* take them seriously.  :-)

Here's how I would characterize the
conversation so far:

Person 1: There is definitely Woo Woo involved
with crop circles. Not all of them are Woo Woo,
but some of them definitely are.

Person 2: I don't agree. I think it is more
likely that there is no Woo Woo at all.

Person 1: You are ignorant and terrified of
learning the truth. If you had read the same
facts I had, you would HAVE to agree with me
that there is Woo Woo involved.

Person 2: I have not only read the same things
you have, but I have been doing so for 20 years
and you're a Woo Woo Johnny Come Lately by
comparison. Nothing I have read convinces me
that Woo Woo is involved.

Person 1: Then you are just being stupid, not
rational like me. The ONLY rational thing to
believe is what *I* believe. Woo Woo is defin-
itely happening, and if you don't agree with
me and admit that you were WRONG, you are
being irrational. Whereas *I* am the rational
one for insisting that Woo Woo exists and is
present in the crop circle scenario.

Person 2: Whatever. Not interested in discussing
this further with a crazy person.

Person 1: See! You're terrified of learning the
truth! No matter how many times you say you are
not interested in discussing this with me, I'm
going to respond ANYWAY, because I MUST convince
you that Woo Woo exists. And you MUST realize
this and change your beliefs BECAUSE I SAY SO.
Furthermore, when the inevitable happens and you
finally admit that you were WRONG, you MUST
apologize to me for not believing me about the
Woo Woo in the first place. I'm the rational one
here, and you're not. So there.

Person 2: Ha!

Person 1: <replay everything said before over and
over again, as if saying it one more time will
convince the non-believer this time>

Person 2: <ignoring the blithering idiot>

Person 1: <replay everything said before over and
over yet again, ignoring the fact that they are
being ignored>

This has been a discussion between a fanatic who
has been INSISTING that the only correct POV is
theirs (and that this is a rational stance), and
a person who is really rational and refuses to
be browbeaten.

As entertainment goes, it's tough to beat it.