> Was this the Shankaracharya that Mahesh "owned"?--there was one
that
> was basically 'bought and sold'. Just a like a special interest
group
> buying for legislation, influence, etc. That's all I needed to
hear,
> esp. given all the other improprieties.

You mean the one that was specificed in the will? The one that was
acknowledged by the courts as being Gurudev's foremost disciple?

The will was challenged by the group that selected Gurudev.They
wanted to establish a tradition that THEY would select the new
Shankaracharya, period.

Note that accounts of the hostility say theprimary reason for the bad
blood between the committee and Swami Shatananda was due to his rapid
decision to *accept the will*.

> In general the Shankaracharyas are not only realized--and the only
ones
> who ever claimed M. was enlightened was his followers--they had to
have
> expertise in the scriptures. Since M. relies heavily on pundits for
his
> knowledge, in this case 'two strikes and you're out'. The most
powerful
> of the seats, Sringeri (Shankaras seat), from what I could tell
> spending a lot of time with the sanyasis, they considered M. an
> aberration and a 'seller of the Veda'. Many felt he was headed to
> Patala-loka...

Actually, the 5th seat isn't even considered part of the
Shankaracharya tradition by many.