--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gimbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I'm not sure what Maharishi has said about the AUM sound;
>
> My understanding is it is associated with the Goddess Kali.
>
> I can see why, Maharishi would say that married women,
>
> should not relate to closely: to the insatiable Kali.
>
> And the sound of Aum,

Well, here's what Monier-Williams sez about 'om' and 'aum'

Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon: Search Results

1 om ind. (%{av} Un2. i , 141 ; originally %{oM} = %{AM} , which may
be derived from %{A} BRD.) , a word of solemn affirmation and
respectful assent , sometimes translated by `" yes , verily , so be
it "' (and in this sense compared with Amen ; it is placed at the
commencement of most Hindu1 works , and as a sacred exclamation may
be uttered [but not so as to be heard by ears profane] at the
beginning and end of a reading of the Vedas or previously to any
prayer ; it is also regarded as a particle of auspicious salutation
[Hail!] ; %{om} appears first in the Upanishads as a mystic
monosyllable , and is there set forth as the object of profound
religious meditation , the highest spiritual efficacy being
attributed not only to the whole word but also to the three sounds %
{a} , %{u} , %{m} , of which it consists ; in later times %{om} is
the mystic name for the Hindu1 triad , and represents the union of
the three gods , viz. a (Vishn2u) , %{u} (S3iva) , %{m} (Brahma1) ;
it may also be typical of the three Vedas ; %{om} is usually called %
{praNava} , more rarely %{akSara} , or %{ekAkSara} , and only in
later times %{oMkAra}) VS. S3Br. ChUp. &c. ; (Buddhists place %{om}
at the beginning of their [EMAIL PROTECTED] or mystical formulary in
six syllables [viz. [EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; according to T. %{om}
may
be used in the following senses: %{praNave} , %{Arambhe} , %
{svIkAre} , %{anumatau} , %{apA7kRtau} , %{asvIkAre} , %{maGgale} , %
{zubhe} , %{jJeye} , %{brahmaNi} ; with preceding %{a} or %{A} , the %
{o} of %{om} does not form Vr2iddhi (%{au}) , but Gun2a (%{o}) Pa1n2.
6-1 , 95.)

 aum ind[eclinable? - carde] the sacred syllable of the S3u1dras (see
3. %{au}).

> Is that Universal sound or vibration of Creation.
>
> And everything dissolves into it...
>

> sparaig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Llundrub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > >   Plus advanced
> > >

> > Sorry, I'm probably confusing some here.   In general, mantra
> shastra
> > divides mantras between shakti and shiva mantras.   Shakti
mantras
> are
> > considered more intense than shiva mantras and therefore usually
> not
> > given to the general public.  This is held in a lot of
traditions.
> Both
> > enliven the shakti but the shiva mantras seem to be safer for the
> process.
> >

> > ------What do you think about MMY's contention that Om is deadly
> females and householders?  And if you don't mind, could you give a
> few Shiva mantras besides Om, for us more dense people. You mean
> masculine as opposed to feminine mantras right?  So for instance
Gum,
> Glaum, Om, and such?
>
> Did MMY say that Om was deadly to females and householders?
>

> To subscribe, send a message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Or go to:
> and click 'Join This Group!'

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.