While I agree with Paglia's assessment of what
Sarah Palin's projected image is supposed to be,
it's important in my opinion to remember that
it's a LIE.

When you have a candidate so weak that you won't
allow her to do press interviews, it REALLY
DOESN'T MATTER whether she can fire an automatic
weapon. It REALLY DOESN'T MATTER what her faux
"frontier woman" persona is if she's never had
the experience of dealing with military affairs
(and she hasn't...the leader of the Alaska
National Guard has said in no uncertain terms
that she was and never will be involved in any
military decisions for the Guard). It REALLY
DOESN'T MATTER even if she's "studied miliary
history." That's not the same as having military
experience.

In short, I think that Camille Paglia has done
exactly what she has often done in the past. She
has fallen for the *glammer*, for the *projected
image* of one of her neofeminist heroines, rather
than the actuality. She did it with Madonna, and
now she's doing it with Sarah Palin.