<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think you have some legitimate concerns about Obama Judy, but I am
> surprised to see you go down this particular rabbit hole about him.  I
> don't agree that using the "lipstick on a pig" line was either stupid
> or revealing.  I don't suppose he spends a lot of time thinking about
> Sara Palin, so it wasn't front and center for him to worry about.  It
> is an example of the worst of politics IMO and as I said before it
> doesn't even make any sense.  It is a vain attempt to stir the pot of
> sympathy for a "not ready for primetime" VP choice.  Palin will need
> it as her recent interview revealed.  She might even be a great
> governor for all I know, but they are pushing her too far up the
> political ladder too fast and the hype is unraveling.
>
> Did you see Obama on Oreilly?  I thought that was helpful in
> understanding him.  Wait till he gets a hold of Palin, if her handlers
> let her.
>
> Your point about Hillary is probably right.  But bringing her up in
> this context just underlines what a stupid choice McCain made.  If I
> was a woman I would be totally pissed that this historic moment has
> been squandered.  (Actually if I had lady parts I would never leave my
> house, I would be too busy molesting myself.) (did I say that last bit
> out loud?)
>
> Obama wouldn't use a third grade insult which would just backfire
> anyway.  He can just pay attention to his own campaign and let her
> self destruct on her own.  I don't get the petty vibe you seem to from
> him.  OTOH the classy move would have been for Palin to step up and
> say that she knows he didn't mean it that way.  Instead the campaign
> fired off a direct lie in their ad saying "Obama speaking about Sara
> Palin" when everything they cut out was about John McCain.  He dropped
> a few more points in my respect for authorizing that slimy tactic from
> the Rove playbook.

I was surprised today to see 4-5 examples of the MSM standing up to
the McCain lies (and some Obama distortions -- which pale in
comparison), Below is start of front page article in NYT. Gibbons,
view, PBS Newshour -- the press is actually pushing back -- in fairly
articulated and detailed terms.

"Harsh advertisements and negative attacks are a staple of
presidential campaigns, but Senator John McCain has drawn an avalanche
of criticism this week from Democrats, independent groups and even
some Republicans for regularly stretching the truth in attacking
Senator Barack Obama's record and positions.

Mr. Obama has also been accused of distortions, but this week Mr.
McCain has found himself under particularly heavy fire for a pair of
headline-grabbing attacks. First the McCain campaign twisted Mr.
Obama's words to suggest that he had compared Gov. Sarah Palin, the
Republican vice-presidential nominee, to a pig after Mr. Obama said,
in questioning Mr. McCain's claim to be the change agent in the race,
"You can put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig." (Mr. McCain once
used the same expression to describe Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's
health plan.)

Then he falsely claimed that Mr. Obama supported "comprehensive sex
education" for kindergartners (he supported teaching them to be alert
for inappropriate advances from adults).

"