<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Again, I strongly suspect Obama knew exactly what
> > he was saying.
>
> The metaphor he used has an obvious meaning.  To try to
> connect this with a disgusting slur on women is such a
> stretch that I am amazed you could believe it.  I can
> understand the right wing using it as a cynical tactic,
> but you surprise me here.  As I said in my other post,
> there are plenty of things to go after Obama for.  But
> this kind of connection seems completely crazy to me.

I'm not as sure about the fish reference as I am
about the lipstick one, but I really wouldn't put
it past him.

Both metaphors have "an obvious meaning." That isn't
the issue. The issue is whether he picked metaphors
with obvious meanings to disguise less-obvious nasty
swipes at Palin in order to give himself plausible
deniability. And as I said, these are far from the
only two instances from him of this sort of thing; it
appears to be a habit.

It's symptomatic of a broader contempt for women,
especially working-class women, which he's shown
in his refusal to reach out to Clinton's
supporters, dismissing them by saying they'll get
over it and vote for him because there's nowhere
else for them to go. And if they don't, that's OK
because he doesn't need their votes.